S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GT wing effectiveness...anyone experimented?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to drive faster on highspeed turns with increased AOA on my wing... But there are many variables there

Probably the hardest proof I have is a buddy did three laps with, then three without a GTC-200 wing. He was almost a second from first (at a time attack) and the track is lower speed with alot of turns. We thought the wing might not be effective on the lower speed turns and just slowing him down on the straight. So we convinced him to take it off...

He was experiencing alot of oversteer coming out of the only highspeed turn and was overall more than a second slower per lap (on a 1:40 track)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Jul 3 2008, 08:09 AM
I was able to drive faster on highspeed turns with increased AOA on my wing... But there are many variables there

Probably the hardest proof I have is a buddy did three laps with, then three without a GTC-200 wing. He was almost a second from first (at a time attack) and the track is lower speed with alot of turns. We thought the wing might not be effective on the lower speed turns and just slowing him down on the straight. So we convinced him to take it off...

He was experiencing alot of oversteer coming out of the only highspeed turn and was overall more than a second slower per lap (on a 1:40 track)
k cool...this is the kind of stuff i'm looking for

more please
Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM

This is a joke right?

Which wing at which track, at which height, and which angle?

Where are any data for the voltex wing? Appears to be a classic poseur wing.

This has been discussed many times and the answer IS THE SAME. The only wind (CFD) modeling posted here has been for the APR series wings, and those only show an effect at higher mountings (s anyone would expect if they have ever held a hand up in our car...).

Wings may or may not have an negative effect (drag) at straigtline, but a properly designed wing will not, that it why it is different from a rear spoiler, but that is a given...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Jul 3 2008, 08:46 AM
This is a joke right?

Which wing at which track, at which height, and which angle?

This has been discussed many times and the answer IS THE SAME. The only wind (CFD) modeling posted here has been for the APR series wings, and those only show an effect at higher mountings (s anyone would expect if they have ever held a hand up in our car...).

Wings may or may not have an negative effect (drag) at straigtline, but a properly designed wing will not, that it why it is different from a rear spoiler, but that is a given...
I'm not asking for random thrown out data....i'm asking for everything to be constant except the wing. That means track, height, AoA whatever...i just want to see someone say that they have actually done some experimenting to see that it works or not (at any given CONSTANT height, AoA). I'm not looking for wind tunnel results or whatnot...i've already searched it out and seen that it's not available for the most part.

Dude if you can't contribute, then don't post. I told you i've already done a search and found my results to be unsatisfactory.

EDIT: oh and if the voltex looks like a classic "poser" wing...then why don't you ask Maxrev why he's using one...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM

If you dont like the look of the wing, just get another trunk for the track? It takes 5 mins to change... I used to do that when I drove my car more on the street. You can search and usually get a trunk for less than 200 bucks
Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nichigo,Jul 3 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm not asking for random thrown out data....i'm asking for everything to be constant except the wing. That means track, height, AoA whatever...i just want to see someone say that they have actually done some experimenting to see that it works or not (at any given CONSTANT height, AoA). I'm not looking for wind tunnel results or whatnot...i've already searched it out and seen that it's not available for the most part.

Dude if you can't contribute, then don't post. I told you i've already done a search and found my results to be unsatisfactory.

EDIT: oh and if the voltex looks like a classic "poser" wing...then why don't you ask Maxrev why he's using one...
sell it

Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 808_S2K,Jul 3 2008, 07:42 AM
Actually, I changed my mind... The wing doesn't work. Sell the wing hahaha
sell it to me!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Jul 3 2008, 08:57 AM
If you dont like the look of the wing, just get another trunk for the track? It takes 5 mins to change... I used to do that when I drove my car more on the street. You can search and usually get a trunk for less than 200 bucks
I already have another trunk. I originally mounted this onto my OEM trunk and ran with that for a while. I now have an Asuka CF trunk. I need a little more space, so i'm tryign to get rid of my OEM trunk and want to mount the wing on my Asuka. I don't mind the looks at all...it's just that I don't know if it's worth having such an expensive piece if it doesn't do anything. Pretty much everything on my car has some kind of functional value...and i'd like to keep it that way.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ,Jul 3 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm not so sure its a poser wing, though many posers run it. Just because data available is in Japanese doesn't mean its not out there. Visually comparing a Voltex type I to a GTC-200, it is my opinion that the main element on the Voltex is more suited towards an S2000 (given it is mounted at roof line). What I would like to know is, if a 3D wing is even necessary in a car built around no rules, being you can mount it anywhere you want. Why doesn't anybody run proper aerofoils built by aero companies like Crawford or Pennon....

Discuss
Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM

GTC-200 cost 600 bucks with mounts specific for an S2000... I cant afford the other (better?) options!

Quick Reply: GT wing effectiveness...anyone experimented?