S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GT wing effectiveness...anyone experimented?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT wing effectiveness...anyone experimented?

Ok so i know there are countless threads on ppl asking if GT wings are effective or just a track-boy symbol. I've searched a bit on the topic, but what ends up happening is ppl start speculating, theorizing, and guessing about th effectiveness of the wing without any actual data.

I'm asking a simple question, so please limit responses to educated answers: Has anyone ever done a side-by-side comparison of their car with and without a wing on a track? What i'm looking for is someone who can claim that they have gotten consistently faster times after adding only a GT wing...

Reason i'm asking is because I have a voltex type III wing that I am going to install...however i'm not sure I want to put it on if it possibly wont' do anything. I like the clean look of my car right now, and don't want to add a wing unless I will benefit from it.

Thanks for looking
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your car wil be better in the corners and slower down the straightaways.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by SLINKYDOG,Jul 3 2008, 07:16 AM
your car wil be better in the corners and slower down the straightaways.
I believe that's a given.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A wing will help at Tracks like BIG WILLIOW. SOW, not as much.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Rob (Maxrev) did some comparisons in his EARLY blogs...
Umm after searching, looks like he took those down. But here's Tim's (Stinkytofu) on before and after borrowing Rob's wing at a race.

http://www.maxrev.net/index.php?location=r...etimeattack.htm

I can tell you after driving up to Idyllwild, I can tell the difference in regards to rear end stability. With the 12k springs on the street, the rear end gets a bit wild on the bumpy roads but with the wing I can see a noticeable difference. I also noticed a difference in overall stability at speeds above 100 mph...
Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 808_S2K,Jul 3 2008, 07:25 AM
Rob (Maxrev) did some comparisons in his EARLY blogs...
Umm after searching, looks like he took those down. But here's Tim's (Stinkytofu) on before and after borrowing Rob's wing at a race.

http://www.maxrev.net/index.php?location=r...etimeattack.htm

I can tell you after driving up to Idyllwild, I can tell the difference in regards to rear end stability. With the 12k springs on the street, the rear end gets a bit wild on the bumpy roads but with the wing I can see a noticeable difference. I also noticed a difference in overall stability at speeds above 100 mph...
chad

wait so what am I looking for in that link? lol

i honestly didn't notice any difference after I put my voltex wing on the first time...that's why i'm kinda hesitant to put it back on. I'd like to see improved times as proof that it does something because everyone so far is basing it on feeling. Granted, that's probably the only easy way to gauge it, but i think alot of ppl are just thinking that they're "feeling" a difference because they already put it in their minds that it's working. Or they just spent a bundle of money on a GT wing so they subconsciously "feel" a non-existent difference just to ease their conscience
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by nichigo,Jul 3 2008, 07:35 AM
chad

wait so what am I looking for in that link? lol

i honestly didn't notice any difference after I put my voltex wing on the first time...that's why i'm kinda hesitant to put it back on. I'd like to see improved times as proof that it does something because everyone so far is basing it on feeling. Granted, that's probably the only easy way to gauge it, but i think alot of ppl are just thinking that they're "feeling" a difference because they already put it in their minds that it's working. Or they just spent a bundle of money on a GT wing so they subconsciously "feel" a non-existent difference just to ease their conscience
hehe I was talking about the part where Tim borrowed Rob's wing. But there were some other changes so hard to say which made the difference. I did remember in one of the older blog entries, Rob mentioned not bringing his wing to the track and he had the slower lap times noted.

I know what you mean about feel but going around some of the higher speed turns that in the past I had to counter steer and now can take flat out, is good enough for me
Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM

Actually, I changed my mind... The wing doesn't work. Sell the wing hahaha
Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 808_S2K,Jul 3 2008, 07:42 AM
Actually, I changed my mind... The wing doesn't work. Sell the wing hahaha
Lol i was wondering why you were trying to convince me that it worked
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 AM

I know I don't get much track time but I can absolutely tell when my wing is and isn't there. I've done a lot of weight loss and the downforce is almost a safety requirement at speed.

Quick Reply: GT wing effectiveness...anyone experimented?