S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars

Old 10-17-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah please split
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by alejo,Oct 17 2006, 09:50 AM
pantyraider: but rev said the rumble strip itself felt very violent... just trying to see if not riding the strip will be detrimental to getting the best time out of the car/driver combo
When Rev drove LS last (that I know of), the rumble strip was extremely violent, but it has since been smoothed out quite a bit for motoGP. This happened like a year and a half ago. In the old days, hitting the rumble strip felt like it was going to saw your car in half, so you stayed off of it (on the tarmac side) Now days you can put your wheels on the strip and it's fine.

Brakelines: Rubber brake lines, in my experience, are much tougher than braided steel lines. The only reason to change to braided steel is if your brake lines are expanding when you're hard on the brakes, as the steel mesh should contain the expansion better, giving you a more solid pedal feel and less pedal travel. However, the difference between a newish car with stock lines and braided steel lines is very minor. I personally feel safer with stock rubber lines. The teflon liner in braided steel lines are very fragile. I had a brake line failure in a steel line once and it wasn't much fun . It was probably caused by the caliper dropping during a pad change, which damaged the teflon liner.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont' know if you mentioned it already Clark, but was the brake line failure in the front or the rear? I can't see how the front lines would fatigue from changing pads since you only need to remove the lower bolt to get to the pads.

The rears are different. Now, I'm concerned. I have stainless steel lines but I'm wondering is there a way to tell if it's become fatigued?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=FormulaRedline,Oct 17 2006, 02:27 PM] I thought this thread was about roll bars

Maybe we should make a new discussion for brake lines?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by fluxen,Oct 17 2006, 04:08 PM
When Rev drove LS last (that I know of), the rumble strip was extremely violent, but it has since been smoothed out quite a bit for motoGP. This happened like a year and a half ago. In the old days, hitting the rumble strip felt like it was going to saw your car in half, so you stayed off of it (on the tarmac side) Now days you can put your wheels on the strip and it's fine.
Check out my and dsteven's videos in the recent Laguna thread. You can hear how relatively smoth the rumble strips are. They are a little rough (minor vibrations) on trackout, but very smooth on the apex. T7/8 at the corkscrew is now very smooth. You can hear the roughness in the trackout of T9 at the end of my video.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Richard,

I don't understand what you mean "where it attaches to the caliper before it loops to the banjo bolt".

I'm not in front of it right now, but from what I recall it attaches to the hard line by the inside of the wheel well, then it bolts to the shock, which has to be unbolted to remove/replace it, and then it bolts to the caliper with the banjo fitting. I don't believe that it attaches to the caliper in 2 places.

So, after unbolting it from the shock body, and then unbolting the shock/spring perch, the whole suspension droops and could put strain on the line between the hard line and the caliper, with no other attachment points in between.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM

I deleted my post because I was incorrectly thinking about the ABS wire that attaches to the firewall .

But as for the brakeline, I'm pretty sure there is a bracket that attaches it to the caliper before it reaches the banjo bolt, but I don't have my wheels off to check, and I don't have stock shocks either so could be mistaken.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark,Oct 17 2006, 05:53 PM
I hope "Clark rolling" isn't anything like bum tossing.
Yeah, that's kind of what it's like. It's the new fad these days...alll the cool brake lines are doing it

But back on topic, how are the issues people were having with the roll bars coming? Clark, you obviously used yours, I take it from your posts that you completely removed the stock hoops and belts?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Oct 17 2006, 06:12 PM
Check out my and dsteven's videos in the recent Laguna thread. You can hear how relatively smoth the rumble strips are. They are a little rough (minor vibrations) on trackout, but very smooth on the apex. T7/8 at the corkscrew is now very smooth. You can hear the roughness in the trackout of T9 at the end of my video.
Richard, I know they're smooth now...that's what I just said

I was explaining why Rev said they were so rough, and that it was no longer the case
Old 10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The smoother berms and new grippier pavement have made the track about 2/sec a lap faster (vs 2 years ago).

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars