S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars

Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HunterEz,Oct 17 2006, 10:57 AM
I believe the rumble strips have all been smoothed out even more for the motoGP bikes now. Compare Clarks picture with the recent one with Rylans car.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup - much better:

Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 AM

It looks like the rumble strip is smoother, but the angle and transition to the surface beyond looks much more abrupt.

When I was taking the line in the previous picture, I swear it was not violent at all.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Hey all, a little more light being shed on the failed brake line. I've been trading PM's with SR71BB, and through the discussion it came to my frontal lobe that I just installed KW coil-overs in July. When I disconnected the shock top, I let the suspension droop and did not do anything to limit that suspension travel, letting it droop until .. well something stopped it.

I don't recall there being obvious tension or strain on the brake line, but SR71BB says that this definitely strained the brake line and I should have done something, like a hook or zip tie, to limit the suspension travel.

I followed the very fine DIY guide by gfacter but I don't think this is mentioned in that particular write-up.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Oct 17 2006, 05:13 AM
I don't know for sure, but I doubt HIGHLY that Honda designed the brake lines and fittings themselves. It is far more likely that they source their brake lines from a large company that makes OEM brakelines for various different car makers. It wouldn't surprise me if that same company makes and sells SS lines to the aftermarket.
Yes, and no. Yes they source the parts out, although they write specs that the vendors have to meet. It ends up being a co-operative design/build process.

I don't think the OEM vendors for rubber brake hoses are in the low volume SS brake hose aftermarket business. It wouldn't be profitable for them.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Clark,Oct 17 2006, 11:33 AM
What's everyone's thoughts on this?
I just did the same thing, and I was very conscious of not loading the brake line. It's possible that you did so if you weren't careful.

You would have to have somebody familiar with metal fatigue look at the part that broke in order to get a really good diagnosis.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Clark,Oct 17 2006, 11:13 AM
It looks like the rumble strip is smoother, but the angle and transition to the surface beyond looks much more abrupt.

When I was taking the line in the previous picture, I swear it was not violent at all.
The one time I was in Laguna the dirt was washed away from the inside of the corkscrew. If you had dropped wheels over the edge of the strip you would have probably high-centered the car!

I don't know if they changed it or not for the bikes, but the way it used to be was pretty nice -- if you just nibbled the curbs a little bit then things were fine, but the farther you went into them the more they started pounding the hell out of your suspension. It was more progressive than many curbs are.

Still better than no curbs, though. My local tracks have very little curbing and people tend to crash when they drop wheels off and don't know how to handle it.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 AM

Mike,

There is no metal fatigue to examine, it was the rubber hose that broke.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Clark,Oct 17 2006, 11:56 AM
There is no metal fatigue to examine, it was the rubber hose that broke.
Oh!

Is the material deteriorated in any way (rotten)? If so, there was probably some chemical contamination.

Otherwise I think you just sliced it on something sharp. Could have been debris on the track. Might have been while you were working on it, and then it eventually failed when it was hot and at very high pressure.

Is the rubber reinforced with metal or fiber? Can you tell if they were cut? I suppose it is possible that fatigue could break the reinforcing fibers (assuming there are some), then the rubber could have failed. Rubber itself does not fatigue, but it does heat cycle and age through oxidation and UV exposure.

And if it was sliced by something sharp, then yes, I suppose SS lines might have had some protection to offer. What I said before was assuming it was the fitting that snapped, not the line itself.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this thread was about roll bars

Maybe we should make a new discussion for brake lines? Or a general Clark rolling thread?

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars