S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars

Old 10-16-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark,Oct 16 2006, 02:23 PM
As for the brake failure, it was right where the rubber line joins the banjo fitting at the caliper. If I had to hazard a guess, I suppose it is just fatigued from lots of track miles, so lots of heat, as well as dozens and dozens of brake changes. Of course, in changing brakes, though I never let the caliper hang from the line, sometimes I balance it up on the suspension arm and it falls. I've never seen damage to the line, but it must have been weakened just enough.
Do you think this brake failure could have been avoided if you had steel-braided brake lines?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Oct 16 2006, 06:13 PM
Do you think this brake failure could have been avoided if you had steel-braided brake lines?
Doesn't sound like it to me, but that depends on what kind of fittings are on the replacement lines and exactly why the fatigue happened in the first place.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 16 2006, 06:24 PM
Doesn't sound like it to me, but that depends on what kind of fittings are on the replacement lines and exactly why the fatigue happened in the first place.
I was just curious because it is my understanding the steel-braided lines are much more durable than the OEM lines.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Oct 16 2006, 06:45 PM
I was just curious because it is my understanding the steel-braided lines are much more durable than the OEM lines.
The opposite is more likely to be true.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 16 2006, 07:04 PM
The opposite is more likely to be true.
Hmmm...I certainly could be wrong but I would think that steel-braided lines would be more durable because:

1. Most information I have read (and the sources could be suspect) suggest that the way the fittings are secured to the steel-braided line makes the fittings less prone to snapping off.
2. The OEM lines, being made out of rubber, can be easily ripped/punctured causing instant failure. With steel-braided lines you don't have to worry about this.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Wow. Crazy story with the roll over. Glad you came through in one piece.

Not exactly something I wanted to read 4 days before I'm supposed to go there. And the forecast is calling for rain. Might need to pack an extra pair of shorts...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was going to answer that yes I thought that braided lines would have prevented this. My belief was that braided lines would be less prone to bittleness due to heat, and would be less fatigued by constant manipulation during brake changes and the occasional "caliper drop test". However, I admit that my thoughts on that are just gut feeling, a hunch if you will.

mikegarrison, I'm interested in your opinion on this. Do you have some experience to tell us otherwise, or is yours just a hunch of the opposite opinion?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Clark,Oct 16 2006, 02:23 PM
Of course, in changing brakes, though I never let the caliper hang from the line, sometimes I balance it up on the suspension arm and it falls. I've never seen damage to the line, but it must have been weakened just enough.
Clark, glad you're okay. In changing front pads, you don't need to remove the caliper. Just remove the lower bolt only and swing the caliper up to swap the pads. The top bolt doesn't need to be removed. The rears you have to remove both bolts and lift the complete caliper, so those can slip and hang. I also have OEM lines on my white car.

Stock hoops in sand would not be very effective, esp. without the softtop, as they could easily sink in the sand. Good thing you made the change recently. Even with the rollbar, top up is beneficial.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 PM

Stainless steel brake lines are regular rubber brake lines, sheathed in stainless steel webbing.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 PM

Richard,

That's a nice post mortem, but let's face it, I was top up mostly because it's worth 8mph at the end of the straight

On some days, like this one at Laguna Seca, I couldn't resist being top down.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars