S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars

Old 09-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm too waiting to hear from Asura. We'll talk to HD on monday and asura will be intouch with everyone for a resolution.

I think I know what they did wrong, but I need to have Asura talk to them and confirm how they want to handle it.

Please sit tight, we'll take care of everyone.

-Rylan
Old 09-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 29 2006, 03:36 PM
I just got my hands on a copy of the install DVD from ELDA. (Thanks yakrat) After briefly viewing the rollhoop cutting a fitting, there is a definite difference between the 2 bars.

If you plan on installing the stock rollhoops DO NOT INSTALL this bar. Cutting the seat belt mount is not a safe option.
Elda gave us drawings that were -supposed- to be accurate.

Yes, Do NOT cut the stock seatbelt anchors, This is not the solution.

-Ry
Old 09-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Sep 30 2006, 10:31 PM

-Ry
I'll hold off shipping it back for a limited time, however, I'm installing a Safety 21 bar tomorrow. All the tracks/organizations accept it despite its shortcomings.

krazik, I have zero idea what goes into designing a mass-produced bar, however, how can drawings to be blamed if the company had an original in their possession?
Old 09-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Sep 30 2006, 10:31 PM

-Ry
Crap. I came across some posts where folks had done just that with the original Elda on the passenger's side. I sent a PM to Asura back on 7/27 showing the clearance issue and the cuts that I made to work around it.

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with modifying the mount? When the seatbelt is locked, there is no tension on the guides as I have them. Come to think about it, the reason there's no tension is because the belt wraps around the seat. If the seat was aftermarket, the angle of the belt would change, and there would likely be force applied to the guides...

I suppose I'll have to look into pulling it all back apart and getting the mounts beefed up.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I didn't find any issues with the seatbelt mounts on the previous ELDA. The install DVD talks about removing the spacer from the seatbelt anchor to allow the bolt to thread in the hole. Nothing about not being able to get the stock rollhoop bolted back in.

Call me paranoid, but I just don't trust a cut and bent seat belt anchor from holding the belt inplace during a collision.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 30 2006, 11:15 PM
I didn't find any issues with the seatbelt mounts on the previous ELDA. The install DVD talks about removing the spacer from the seatbelt anchor to allow the bolt to thread in the hole. Nothing about not being able to get the stock rollhoop bolted back in.

Call me paranoid, but I just don't trust a cut and bent seat belt anchor from holding the belt inplace during a collision.
Yeah, I never received any instructions, since I was the guinea pig.

I didn't particularly like my workaround, but I spent a fair bit of time making sure that the guide is located in a position where the belt does not put any pressure on it with the stock seat. My thinking was that once the retractor mechanism locks, the belt isn't going anywhwere. If it's not even putting pressure on the guide at that point, how can the guide fail? Regardless, I'll start looking at either pulling it back apart and getting the mount beefed up, or getting tabs added to my bar to just mount the guides to.

If I dropped the ball by not catching this as a bigger problem, then I sincerely apologize to everyone. If I can make another visit up to HD to help get it resolved, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to do that.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Sep 30 2006, 08:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with modifying the mount?
Nothing, if it's done right.

However, you probably want to consider "what would happen if this broke"? If the answer is failure of the restraint system, then you want to be damn sure you did it right.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to get in touch with Krazik, but I have been unable to reach him to find a resolution for anyone having issues.

I was in NYC when the prototype was test fitted in CA by Krazik, therefore I was not present when the prototype bar was signed off on and cannot comment on why it does not fit with the factory roll hoops. I have no idea why this bar does not fit the way it was intended to, however I could make an educated guess based upon previous experience.

Please sit tight, we'll take care of everyone.

-Asura
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Asura,Sep 30 2006, 11:00 PM] I've been trying to get in touch with Krazik, but I have been unable to reach him to find a resolution for anyone having issues.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=SC_Highlander,Sep 30 2006, 08:39 PM] Yeah, I never received any instructions, since I was the guinea pig.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY: Go Fast Lab Roll Bars