S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Grime's Spec Koni Shock Dyno Plots - Q's and C's

Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captain_pants,Apr 15 2010, 06:11 AM
He also mentions multiple times that 'critical damping' is the damping rate at which the suspension will not move at all when a bump is struck. That's flat wrong.
Page 43 at the bottom, he says 100% damping. It makes sense to me, why dont you agree with his statement?

I agree he's definitely proud of his design.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the book too, and thougt he wrote that 60% was when the shock would make 1.6 cycles, so that would mean that 100% would be one cycle, or bump then rebound and back to center.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by captain_pants,Apr 15 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm speaking with James right now, he's able to dramatically soften the shocks from what I originally got. Right now my shocks generate around 700 lbs in rebound at 6 inches/second at 3/4 stiff. The curves I'm considering are closer to 350 lbs at the same speed and adjustment and stay at around 1/2 as stiff all the way up to 12 in/s. For comparison, the OEM shocks generate around 200 lbs at the same 6 in/s speed.

I'm going to finish Jan Z's book before I make a decision on my new valving.
I talked to Jamie yesterday (his mom called him Jamie on the phone when I talked to her so thats what I call him now ) - he's supposed to get me the specifics on the valves/shims he used so that I can alter this stuff in the offseason. I apparently gave up my "free" rebuild since I wanted it done my way and not Joe's way. Although I could probably talk Jamie into it if I pushed hard enough I guess.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the book with me now, but the common definition of critical damping is on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping
Look for the graph near "system behavior" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping#System_behavior
I'll have to re-read Jan's definition(s) of critical damping, it doesn't match from what I remember.

That's picking nits though, I in no way feel that this minor point invalidates anything else he says. He even mentions early on that he feels that all the calculations in the world are nearly useless and that he much preferred to just see how something works on the car and then change it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by captain_pants,Apr 15 2010, 12:43 PM
He even mentions early on that he feels that all the calculations in the world are nearly useless and that he much preferred to just see how something works on the car and then change it.
Boom
Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Apr 15 2010, 01:37 PM
Boom
Goes the dynamite.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, the practical definitions for critical,over and under-damping are as follows:

under-damping: a damping force such that when there is a disturbance (bump or otherwise) an overshoot from your original "static" position is observed

critically damping: the damping force that gets you right back to your static position as fast as possible without overshoot

over-damping: any damping force that is greater than the force needed to achieve critical damping. I.e. you will get back to static position slower than if you critically damped
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn,Apr 15 2010, 08:30 PM
critically damping: the damping force that gets you right back to your static position as fast as possible without overshoot
Critical would be at the point of change or just before?

Criticaly damped? I guess I can see how it's right both ways unless my definition of critical is incorrect.

But would Criticaly Damped vs Critical Damping be different?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=Forcednduckshn,Apr 15 2010, 07:30 PM] For what it's worth, the practical definitions for critical,over and under-damping are as follows:

under-damping: a damping force such that when there is a disturbance (bump or otherwise) an overshoot from your original "static" position is observed

over-damping: any damping force that is greater than the force needed to achieve critical damping.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 AM

Its .67 actually - but .7 is close enough

Dennis Grant has been doing a bunch of updates to his site recently if you guys haven't checked it out in the past few weeks. There are some good discussion points regarding critical damping.

A suspension that cycles exactly once in response to a deflection is said to be critically damped. A suspension that cycles twice in response to a deflection (bounce, bounce, stop) is 50% critical, and a suspension that has more damping force than needed to be critical is said to be overdamped.

He valves his shocks right near critically damped, same with Marcus Meredith (who did Jason's Bilsteins) and then they use bars/alignment to tune the handling. I like this idea for rebound, but on the compression side I find that damping ratio's as high as 1.2-1.5 can be a great tool to tune to various surfaces - it can also allow you to use a smaller sway bar and not reduce grip on the inside tire.

Quick Reply: Grime's Spec Koni Shock Dyno Plots - Q's and C's