S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Got spanked by a EVO VIII at the track - how bad?

Old 09-02-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This bad: here. I'm 7th overall and 3.8 seconds behind them.

The Evo is fast everywhere. This particular fresh out of the dealer car had basic bpu's and new hoosiers. Only place the S2000 seemed faster was at the apex, but from there to the next apex it wasn't even close. The car pulls hard out of the apex, and considering the speed they were carrying in the straights their braking was late. Very late (on stock pads!!!) I have to give the drivers the credit they deserve, they've been succesfully racing an EVO VI for a few years now. The driver of the other S2000 (5th overall) is also very skilled. His car was similarly equipped to mine; except his supercharger was a Comptech - mine's a vortech (and he's a much better driver than me).

The previous weekend at a road racing event I timed the owners of the EVO VIII in their stripped EVO VI at 1:26 on hoosiers. A street touring (t1) Z06 on hoosiers was also in the 1:26's (1:31 w/out hoosiers). In contrast full GT cars are at 1:17 with the record for fastest lap at 1:15 - the track lacks the long straight GT's need to leave the little guys behind. I guess this also benefits the EVO VIII to a better degree than it does the S2000. I wonder how the little mitsu would fare against a 911 TT (price dependent the 911 would have to do a lap in 1 minute flat!. )
Old 09-02-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

They are quick no doubt, However I've been hearing rumors afloat of the stock motor's blowing up. I don't know what to think yet but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Evo's are quick accelerating machines, with AWD + turbo... it gains the advantage of using full traction at higher power levels that would otherwise cause wheelspin on FF or FR cars. This makes the short races from corner to corner favor the Evo.

With the exception of the models with ACD and AYC, the Evo's (as nimble as they are) do exhibit some understeer so if the car has room to take the most advantageous line, it will be incredibly fast out of the corners. From what's been described, the drivers must've been very good with their Evo's, knowing how to capitalize on their car's unique strengths.

The Evo's braking power can be attributed to the Brembo's, large rotors and ABS. I'm sure it goes hand in hand with its increased weight (compared to the S2000).

From what I see of the track, I can see why it can be difficult for even well-driven boosted S2000's to best the well-driven Evo's. I could be mistaken but from what I can see of the situation, the only real advantage for the S2000 is to make it count the most in the high speed corner(s) which isn't plentiful. Of course like any other car, taking the line that allows the S2000 to achieve the highest possible corner exit speed before the medium/long straightaway is critical to offset the incredibly fast acceleration of the Evo.

I'd still say that you did a great job nevertheless. Both you and the Comptech S2000 (#5) should be proud for your outstanding driving performance.