S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Is this a good deal for a yearly track membership?

Old 02-22-2004, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal for a yearly track membership?

I'm interested to hear your opinions on this. There is a new track opening up near Chicago called the Autobahn Country Club. They are taking memberships for what will be a semi-exclusive "club" where each weekend one track is dedicated to "members" (limited to ~150) and the other half may or may not be rented out.

Here is the site URL, though it's down a lot: http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/

For a membership, one must pay $10,000 up front and $3000 per year dues. You can transfer (i.e. sell) the membership but 70% of the sale proceeds go back to the country club.

Is that too much money to be paying for May-October track time? How many track visits would I have to make before that is economically equal to doing track days at random tracks?

How do must public tracks handle weekday track events? Are most just closed on weekdays or is it relatively cheap/easy to get on a track to practice on a weekday (non-Friday)?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 AM

That actually looks pretty neat. I'm not sure how much a track day is for you, but here they're $200-250ish. That would mean 12 to 15 days at the track to get $3000 worth. It seems like it's geared toward dedicated racers/teams. But heck, if you're a track nut and you have the money, why not?

Tracks down here, like Sebring/Moroso/Homestead can be rented during the week. Usually there are limits; like 10 cars total and 3 cars on-track at any time. More cars that that and you have to pay for safety crews, corner workers, pit boss, etc. I'm not sure what the prices are, but their not too bad.

If I was going to do this, I'd want a dedicated track car. 12 or 15 track days is a lot, and I'd probably be out 2 or 3 times a weeks if I had access to this. That's a lot of wear on a street car. Do they even allow street cars, btw? I'd probably also want on-site storage for the car, too.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

In a perfect world I would be loaded and would have a membership to a club like this.

I would take the vintage race cars out for a spin, something like a Porsche 917, or maybe a P3.

Then to the clubhouse for drinks and cigars, then maybe a fine meal.....

Then I woke up.

If you can afford it, why not. Just don't forget to invite your poor S2000 friends...I promise to be civil.

Cheers,

George
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 PM

Sounds good if you like the facilities and can swing the costs. Figure out how many times you'll attend and see how that compares to what you're paying now for track days.

A season pass for the Nurburgring Nordschleife costs 700 EUR annually here, but it's really just free lapping instead of a true trackday venue type of deal. Still the greatest 14-mile stretch of asphalt to drive on.....

///Robin
Old 02-22-2004, 02:23 PM

There is something like that currently proposed in New Hampshire as "Club Motorsports". Possibly it is related. In any case, the following letter that I saw pertaining to "Club Motorsports" might be worth your consideration before you dig into your pocket.

Kind Regards, Chris

To the Editor:

Club Motorsports Inc., developers of a proposed 250-acre racetrack facility in Tamworth, New Hampshire, claims that it will provide jobs to 40 Tamworth residents. On a November 22nd news broadcast, Club Motorsports Inc. (CMI) was even quoted as offering 200 jobs.

In actual fact, the optimistic financial assumptions that CMI is currently circulating to prospective investors state that at best, within the next five years, CMI expects to generate only 20 to 25 seasonal jobs for local Tamworth residents at an average pay of only $30,000 per year. In contrast, CMI anticipates creating 15 year round jobs for non-local employees at an average salary of $100,000 per year.

According to CMI