S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

General AutoX question...

Old 09-04-2003, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running on a bunch of short, tight courses were it is all 1 and 2 gears. I have found myself winding out 1st and then shifting into second were revs drop and then I end up shifting back into first. In general, is it faster (with our low torque, hi revving engines) to just keep it at 8K+ and lose a little top speed or is it faster to shift into second and get a little more top end? I am phrashing this poorly but in essence: stay in gear at high revs (limiting speed by gearing) or shift more? Most of friends who I regularly AutoX with have cars with good midrange torque so they do more shifting and I think I have been mimiking this behavior but the S2000 has different powerband and I think I might be losing time by shifting up and down to much.

A specific example: you enter a slalom and the entry speed is at about 8k rpm. Would you shift to 2nd gear (right before entry) or try to wind through the slalom at 8k and then shift into second afterwords?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:05 PM

Generally, the higher gear will help with smoothness. In a slalom, this can be critical. That said, I shift as required to maximize acceleration. It's too easy to get too far away from the VTEC point and have to w-a-i-t for power to increase. Picking the proper times and places to do the shifting is a matter of experimentation, guessing and luck.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:44 PM

I have generally been shifting even if I will be in 2nd for only a few seconds since running around at 8.5k in first seems a bit frantic (and as you said it feels much smoother). But I really wonder if I am losing time this way. I usually do experiement but with only a couple runs it can be hard to determine which is faster while I also maximize my line and brake points and so forth. Problem seems to be that in the shorter courses I have run I end up at 4-6k in second were the engine is just waking up.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]Generally, the higher gear will help with smoothness.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]Generally, the higher gear will help with smoothness.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PENROD

... I usually try to limit the torque in slaloms and use that lack of torque at the exit for a smooth entry
Oops, I meant to say exit.
I gotta get outa here.
WORK SUCKS!!

I SAY WE WORK ONE DAY AND RACE 6!!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:49 PM

Hey, I do the same thing. Like you said, it's a lot of fun, and provides a great show (even if it might not be the fastest way around a cone).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PENROD
[B]
...Although, running in a slalom, or any transitional course, at 8k in an S can cause the car to be a little jumpy and the slightest lift can cause the car to be upset and enter a spin or oversteer.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TubeDriver
[B]I have generally been shifting even if I will be in 2nd for only a few seconds since running around at 8.5k in first seems a bit frantic (and as you said it feels much smoother).
Old 09-05-2003, 02:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PENROD
[B]FYI:
Old 09-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The clubs that I autocross with tend to have more open courses than typical SCCA courses, so my experience may not be very helpful. I have found that our 1st gear is so tweaky, that the added power isn't really all that usefull. I tend to get my best times if I just stay in 2nd in everything but the tightest components. If I can maintain 4500 RPMs or more in 2nd, I think the added smoothness benefits me more, especially since downshifting to 1st at speed tends to be such a challenge in itself.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:08 AM

Downshifting is definitely something you have to get used to and practice. The torque multiplication and attendent unsettling of the suspension (pitching fore and aft) means that discretion must be used. Once you're used to it, it becomes second nature.

Quick Reply: General AutoX question...