S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Gauge brand recommendations please

Old 09-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gauge brand recommendations please

So, I asked this question in Under the Hood, and no responses. I figure us track guys have some gauges in their cars, so what do you guys think?

Ok, so I may add an AEM EMS to my naturally aspirated 03.

I'll want to monitor a few things with gauges, but it seems that the AEM, while nice, are real expensive.

Anybody have some brand recommendations other than AEM?

Anybody still use gauges that I remember from back in the day by VDO or Smith?

Lastly, anybody useing the AEM Serial Guage, the one that can read like 15 different parameters, and how do you like it?

Thanks all.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While I don't have an AEM serial gauge, I do have their dual purpose wide and fail safe that reads AFR and boost simultaneously. I love the product, I love the functionality, I love the quality, everything has been positive thus far. Therefore, I am all for AEM gauges. I say spend the extra buck and go for the AEM serial. Try to find one used on here!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
While I don't have an AEM serial gauge, I do have their dual purpose wide and fail safe that reads AFR and boost simultaneously. I love the product, I love the functionality, I love the quality, everything has been positive thus far. Therefore, I am all for AEM gauges. I say spend the extra buck and go for the AEM serial. Try to find one used on here!
The Serial Gauge AEM makes is a great idea. But, I just don't think it was implemented well. It doesn't show the thing its measuring at the same time as the units are displayed (so, you wouldn't know for sure if it was oil or water, or tranny temp it may be showing), and the dial doesn't show any units.

I guess that's because it was designed a few years ago, and the type of display I'd like was probably to expensive, but I know it could easily be done now.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA1_igYue2o

just got the defi zd a few weeks ago. got the oil pressure, oil temp, and water temp.

was cool to see how hot the car was running at the track, and set a max temp, where when u hit it

it beeps so you know when to let off
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Brockway Engineering Dgauge - reads all ODBII readings, plus allows for the expansion of other sensors, etc to monitor other vitals.

http://brockwayengineering.com/
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by aCab
Check out the Brockway Engineering Dgauge - reads all ODBII readings, plus allows for the expansion of other sensors, etc to monitor other vitals.

http://brockwayengineering.com/
Thanks. Nice enough colors and such, but unfortunately it only displays two external non-OBDII parameters. Which means it won't display oil temp, oil pressure, AFR. And, it's far more expensive than the AEM Serial Gauge.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a racepack iq3 dash for mine.
have not used it yet but am excited about it.

I know if you do go with a ems its mostly dependent on your tuner on which he is most familiar with.
I have a AEM and the cable to go to the IQ3.
I know motec is starting to come out with systems that are more for the club racer budget but have not looked into them
My bosses cup car has the ADL2 from motec and it rocks.

before the IQ3 I had ultra-lite gauges...boost, oil pressure, coolant temp, and the AEM wideband and the stock gauge for speed and rpm.

If I switch my AEM EMS to something else I would get the haltech for the integration with the IQ3