S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Further Changes to S2000 Challenge Classification

Old 02-04-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard,

I'm confused by what you're saying. You can use your CE28's and your adjustable front sway bar and still be under 200pts. Or is it that you insist on running hoosiers rather than RA-1's?

If the latter is the case: remember Rylan and I smashed Hayashi (he's on Hoosiers), and Rylan and I came within a few tenths of Jason Rhoads' times (he's on Hoosiers) and we were on RA-1s. You don't need Hoosiers to win the current PRODUCTION class. Rylan's car, maybe after taking off one or two things, can take a big ass wing and still be under 200pts. and then Rhoads' rubber chicken would become Peking Duck (tasty, not tough).

dt
Old 02-04-2003, 05:11 PM
jzr

Yeah, but at least if it rains I still have windows I can roll up... Aaron is right, you don't have to have Hoosiers to win Production. In fact it's something of a tradeoff - you either need to get the suspension that can handle the grip Hoosiers provide (coilovers, 75pts.) or get the Hoosiers themselves (100pts.), but then have to leave them to operate on a compromised-at-that-grip-level stock suspension. I guess if you chose spring rates carefully (thus keeping stock sway bars) and didn't mess with the motor you could come in under 200 pts., but not likely.

Hoosier A3S03's suck at the track when it gets above 70 degrees. If I don't kick ass in the first session or early in the second, it's all over. I believe I woulda/coulda/shoulda been DOT faster at Laguna with R3S03. Guess it's time to start saving for yet another set of wheels/tires for the track.

Both Willows and Rosamond are forecast to have highs in the very low 60's this weekend. Purrrfect...
Old 02-05-2003, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by desert tortoise
[B]Richard,

I'm confused by what you're saying.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:12 AM

I'd been thinking the same thing, Richard, but hoping no-one would point it out. Although I suspect many people recognize the killer combination:

Hoosiers (RR not autocross)
Coilovers
Wing

=195 pts.

That would pretty much sink everyone else I bet.

Too bad I don't have a car to run that setup!

Obviously Rhoads and Hayashi could do it, but they'd have to take off anything else they had on the car. But I don't think they really have anything. Hayashi would have to take off his intake. Rhoads would have to pull the rubber chicken out of the exhaust pipe or wherever he keeps it.

dt
Old 02-05-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by desert tortoise
Rhoads would have to pull the rubber chicken out of the exhaust pipe or wherever he keeps it.

dt
...and his swaybar! (Autocrossers can't live without a big swaybar....it's like an addiction or losing an organ )
Old 02-05-2003, 10:39 AM
jzr

Originally posted by rlaifatt

...and his swaybar! (Autocrossers can't live without a big swaybar....it's like an addiction or losing an organ )
The only reason stock-class autocrossers go with a big front swaybar is to balance the car with stock springs and race tires. If one is getting coilovers and has the option of any spring rate they want, there'd be no reason to bolt a big, heavy swaybar on the car. If anything you'd want something smaller and lighter.

Dave felt his car was working much better and getting less inside rear wheelspin with his new stiffer front springs and same swaybar. I was getting no inside wheelspin with his slicks.

Some mother er rear-ended me on my way to work yesterday, so my back bumper is all ugly looking and the cap for the tow hook is gone (again). Appearing in its place, this weekend only, I am proud to announce Bumper Damage 2: Return of the Rubber Chicken
Old 02-05-2003, 11:02 AM

Jason, sorry to hear about the bumper.

With stiff springs up front like Dave's setup, wouldn't you think that if a swaybar is going to add any benefit it would need to be really stiff as opposed to being smaller and lighter, otherwise do without it? (My naive logic is that you would have less range of movement through which to exert an effect).
Old 02-05-2003, 11:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]
Some mother er rear-ended me on my way to work yesterday, so my back bumper is all ugly looking and the cap for the tow hook is gone (again).
Old 02-05-2003, 11:16 AM

Richard, The stiffer front springs reduced the amount of body roll which reduced the effort required by the front bar to counter act the remaining body roll. Thus allowing you to get by with less front bar, or in my case a stock front bar
Old 02-05-2003, 11:23 AM

Lets see...

If i remove my SC, header and hartop then install the stock intake and run a spec tire that should get me to 200 points Hmmm

Quick Reply: Further Changes to S2000 Challenge Classification