S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Further Changes to S2000 Challenge Classification

Old 02-04-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are going to hate me, but I think it makes sense to reduce the number of classes in the S2000 Challenge yet again, from 4 to 3 (STOCK, PRODUCTION, UNLIMITED).

My feeling is that for a race series that is focused on one car, four is still way too many classes. All other series include a wide variety of cars (including cars that have spec classes, such as the miata) and thus have a number of classes to support them. Our general (T) classes have 8 groups, which makes sense since there are so many different types of cars competing.

However, for a single make, like the S2000 the goal is to build competition and excitement surrounding the car. Even if we had thousands of participants and lots of competition, the three basics: stock, modified, and unlimited makes sense. It's simpler and will give the illusion, if not reality , of more competition.

The problem is rlaifatt is the only guy in modified in the Western Region, and this is the biggest region by far in the country! Strike, who I thought was going to be his nemesis, just put on coilovers. Those, with his new RA-1's puts him in PRODUCTION too. In our three other regions: Texas, Midwest, and Southeast it's likely that some classes will have no cars in them. Until we get much wider participation, it doesn't make sense to have 4 classes ... I think.

- Stock already takes care of people just getting started and allows a WIDE RANGE of modifications without points.
- Modified allows for more modified cars, with the usual cost-controls. Why divide this one in two just to water it down?
- Unlimited is the no-boundaries class.

Obviously we could have two classes: stock and unlimited, but that puts the squeeze on people who want lots of mods but can't afford to run unlimited.

Basically, I think there's no need for the current MODIFIED class; it doesn't really do anything except water down the field. So I propose eliminating what is now called MODIFIED and absorbing those cars with less than 100 points into what is now called PRODUCTION. But then, since I'm not really sure what PRODUCTION means anyway, I think we should call this new class: MODIFIED. (no Im not going insane, it's that morning cup of coffee again).

So under this new schema, the classing would remain the same as we've already established for the former PRODUCTION with up to 200pts. allowed.

Lemme know what ya'll think. I think this is a really good idea. Also, it will help us to boost the prize money, awards, and attention we can give to each class by cutting out a number of extra 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spots, not just for the S2000's but for the other makes as well, hopefully.

We may have our first sponsor lined up who will contribute over $6 thousand dollars in brake pads, etc. to the winners, and there are more to come hopefully. If we leave modified, we might as well just give Richard his money now!

Dutifully yours,
Aaron Bitterman
Old 02-04-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my opinion counts since I am one of maybe two in Mod (John Huyn, who drove on Friday, is also in Mod). My original desire on making the decision to move from Stock to Mod was to compete with most of you who are now in Production (last year you were all in Mod-R). I have thought about moving again to Production after learning that Strike will be in Production, and concluded that I'd rather be last in Production that leader in Mod with no competitors (though I had forgotten that there would be prize money ).
So I would support merging Mod and Production, though it will mean making more mods (coilovers and wing? ) and forfeiting the 40 points I now have in Mod (is there a point conversion factor? ). Or should I first take a poll on whether I should move up or stay in Mod and collect the money?
Old 02-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 316 Likes on 149 Posts

dt, I agree this is a good idea, esp. since Stock now allows so many mods that would have cost points in '02. As this season began, I eventually decided it didn't really make sense to stay in Mod any longer, for all the reasons you point out. Plus, it's so much easier to just slap on a set of Hoosiers and be done with it!

-John

P.S. It's been KILLING me to have to miss the great trifecta of NorCal tracks. But I'll see everyone at Buttonwillow and Sears...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:31 AM
jzr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew! I was expecting to see a +50 for active wings or something like that.

Have we decided on a point value for slicks yet, or is it still an automatic bump to unlimited?

on the reduction to 3 classes. Mostly because it's what I've been saying we should do all along...

Are you guys running Thunderhill clockwise on Saturday or Sunday? If it's Saturday I might head up for a couple morning sessions...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clockwise on saturday yes.

I'm all for 3 classes too. I'd like to see more than 200 pts (like 225 or 250 too but I know thats a pipe dream. As it effectively ups the cost to be competive in "MOD"

-Ry
Old 02-04-2003, 09:45 AM

We could simplify things even further by simply forgetting the points and make Unlimited be for Non-NA engines and/or slicks (and maybe "active" aeros, not static wings etc.). Everything else allowed in Mod (but no internal engine mods).
Old 02-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Administrator

The whole idea for mod is to keep is "reasonably" priced for the average hot shoe.

To beat davepk we'd all have to spend 20k.

But I do agree more mods should be allowed in "mod"
Old 02-04-2003, 10:09 AM

But Dave is in Umlimited because of the Supercharger, so you won't have to try to beat him if you are in Mod. My only concern would be a combination of Hoosiers and other mods like coilovers. This would force everyone to use Hoosiers to be competitive unless we limit Mod to DOT R-compounds. As ergarding cost, after tires and maybe spring/shocks and wing, further spending has diminishing returns. These are already allowed under 200 points.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Hooisers are DOT-R. at 200-250 pts you can NOT run hooisers and coilovers in "MOD".
Old 02-04-2003, 10:20 AM

I thought Hoosiers + coilovers = 175 points? But we could restrict hoosiers to unlimited because they are too fast and not durable for driving to track.

Quick Reply: Further Changes to S2000 Challenge Classification