S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Fuel starvation on left turns anyone?

Old 04-11-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

Define "low on gas".
Old 04-11-2003, 04:28 PM

I don't have oil blow by with my so far, maybe over serviced or some problem with the crank case vent system.
I'll look at the Honda MM later tonight and see how the vent system works.
Why is you're car less fun than Brians, is it more stable, less tail happy? Do you have a 2002 or later?
Are the 2002 and later models having the same problem with fuel? I wonder if Honda changed any thing for them in the tank.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:28 PM

One way to rid yourself of this very common problem is to create a sort of reserve for the fuel rail... or connect the return line to the feed line via one way valve.

bryan
Old 04-14-2003, 12:52 AM

ahh, the gas indication level on our cars is very unreliable. I've seen it flucate just by daily driving in my area which has some hills. I've ran out of gas 3 times after leaving track events when the indicator showed 4 bars!!!! I would assume the best judgement for gas level would be to top off the tank to begin with and keep an eye on the milage. On a full tank, I can't get any more than 150miles out of the tank, sometimes less. I guess you could do the math if you filled it up with half a tank of gas. That would be more accurate than using the gas level indicator b/c it's crap!
Old 04-14-2003, 02:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by vapors2k
ahh, the gas indication level on our cars is very unreliable. I've seen it flucate just by daily driving in my area which has some hills. I've ran out of gas 3 times after leaving track events when the indicator showed 4 bars!!!! I would assume the best judgement for gas level would be to top off the tank to begin with and keep an eye on the milage. On a full tank, I can't get any more than 150miles out of the tank, sometimes less. I guess you could do the math if you filled it up with half a tank of gas. That would be more accurate than using the gas level indicator b/c it's crap!
Hopefully, you're stating track mileage. Normal driving on the street gets me ~225-250 miles (300 or so highway at 75-80) before I must fill. Also, I've found the gauge to be easier to use than my Preludes since a quick off-on of the engine provides a good indication while the Preludes took a couple of minutes to stabilize (as when filling the tank - the S provides an instantaneous full display while the Preludes s-l-o-w-l-y indicated full).

I agree that using mileage is a valuable indicator of how full the tank is, regardless of the exact reading of the gauge...
Old 04-14-2003, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]

Hopefully, you're stating track mileage.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by vapors2k

hehe, yes! I meant track milage.
Damn. I hoped that was your street mileage. I usually get 175-185 miles on the street.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:36 AM
jzr

Exiting turn 2 at Laguna I was getting starvation with 2 or 3 bars past half full. Was also going through ~7 gallons in a full hard-driven 30 minute session (~4.5mpg). That's bad because even starting off with a full tank would lead to starvation towards the end of the session.

With really sticky tires the car could use some help in the fuel management department. I'm thankful the same is not true for oil management.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:26 PM

For oil blow by check the PVC valve, oil level, leak down compression check should reveal more serious problems if they exist.

I'm hoping the fuel screen is loose or not sealing well where it attaches to the pump body, I'll take a look in there.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same problem. It gets worse on slicks. I need a full tank to run on a track with a high G left hander.

Quick Reply: Fuel starvation on left turns anyone?