S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

first track day in the s

Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first track day in the s

Im going to my first track day Sunday in my s. (which i got 3 weeks ago) I have been to this track once before in my previous car (rsx-s) which as you know is a front wheel drive car. Im a bit worried about oversteer and the back end coming out. Do you guys have any advice for me since im coming from a fwd to rwd.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just have fun
Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I went from a Honda Prelude to an S2000, so I think the transition will be similar. So long as you recognize that the S2000 is a tail-happy car, you will be just fine. Take your time and work yourself up to the limits.

One thing I strongly recommend is using the "UK Alignment Settings" which will really help keep the rear planted. I went to the same track before and after getting an alignment, and I was very pleased with the difference. FYI, the alignment settings are:

Front Castor: 6.45
Front Camber: -1
Front Toe: 0
Rear Camber: -2
Rear Toe: 0.20 (0.40 total toe in)

One thing to really watch out for with this car is the trailing throttle oversteer. With an FF, I got into the habit of doing it deliberately to get the rear to step out a little bit, but with the S2000 it can snap out faster than you may be ready for at first.

Again, take it easy your first time out (especially if the race track has walls) and just have fun!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 PM

The track is free of walls but its only about as wide as maybe 1.5-2 lanes and theirs grass on either side. So nothing to bad if i screw up. But i would really like to keep my s out of the grass.

When coming out of a turn should a wait a little longer to gas it then i would in a fwd car.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM

ooo good luck and have fun
Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 AM

just remember slow in and fast out and just build speed each lap. Your not trying to set a record or anything, just have fun and make sure you brake in a straight line before turn in to not upset the cars balance. If not, you will will be spin out king for the day
Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be smooth with all inputs, particularly throttle. The smoother you are, the more likely you'll be able to feel it if the tail starts to step out and you can correct appropriately (hopefully).
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2kobsession,Oct 11 2008, 09:21 AM
and make sure you brake in a straight line before turn in to not upset the cars balance.

Be ready to catch it if you do...
Old 10-11-2008, 12:01 PM

I went from a civic (owned since new in '98) to an S2000. I've run a couple track days in the S and have another one coming up second week of november at roebling road raceway near savannah georgia.

My experience with the S is this:

#1: start slow and work up your spped each lap.

#2. Do NOTHING abrubt with the throttle or brakes when you are in a turn--because...

#3. The S2000 is a mindfu@% to drive. When you think you are right at the limit of grip your gut reaction is to lift of the gas ever so slightly because you think you are going just a little bit too fast. That will cause understeer and push you farther off line. You actually need to give her a little more gas to tuck the nose back in and stay on line. This is totally counter-intuitive when your self-preservation instincts kick it (at least it was for me)

#4 when you start to actually slide and get the rear loose--DO NOT LIFT ABRUPTLY off the throttle--you will snap the back around--Guaranteed. you'll need to get the feel for feathering the gas ever so slightly while you dial in some counter steer to bring her in line.

And don't worry, you are going to get the rear end loose at somepoint--We've all lost it at some point and its important to do so so you know what it feels like. might as well do it on a track so you can get the feel of what its like without worrying about curbs or jersey walls or other drivers.

I find a little sawwing at the wheel helps as you increase your speed and test the limits around each turn during your first couple of laps.

These are just my experiences with a stock '04 with a drop-in K&N and some hawk pads--and thats it. I'm no veteran road racer, but i've got a few track days under my belt, im usually one of the faster guys out there (not saying i dont have plenty left to learn), and these are the bits of advice i have--especially remember #4. if you're sliding and you lift off the throttle you WILL be going off the track backwards
Old 10-11-2008, 12:12 PM

If the back starts to come out what should i do. Do i just steer the wheel the other way.

Say im on a tight corner going right and the back starts to slip out what way should i turn the wheel

Quick Reply: first track day in the s