S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Track Day with the S

Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default First Track Day with the S

OK, so I did my first track day with the S, totally stock. And I must say how impressed I am with the stock setup. My instructor also noticed the balance of the car and remarked on it. We were also riding on Eagle GT all season tires, which are considerable worse than even the OEM rubber.

I ran with SCDA at Thompson Speedway. The track is new and a lot of fun, it seems well suited to the S2k. Its mostly tight, with a couple of faster sections and one long straight. There were some others S's there and they also did very well.

First off let me say that the whole 00-01 snap over steer thing is a myth. This thing was very predictable and stable. It mostly pushed the front (or I did), but there were a couple of sections when the rear rotated around. The only times this happened was when I was trail braking late into the corner. When it did come around it was extremely easy to correct. Just unwind the steering or add throttle and it settled right back down. Actually, if you were on the throttle the whole car would squat down, and you could do almost anything! It was very predictable and fast. I always felt in control. My instructor was pushing me to go faster and faster.

Considering all the cars we passed, most people were surprised to find out it was my first track day and we were on crap rubber. I have to give most of the credit to the car and my instructor, for pushing me to go faster.

So to anyone shying away from an early AP1 because they have a bad reputation, forget all that crap. The 00-01 is a drivers car, but its safe and predictable. The stock suspension setup is amazing. They should have never tamed it.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Very encouraging to hear this!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are totally correct. Smooth, gracious driving is very rewarding with the car. Its jerky movements that bring out the "wild side"
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup snap oversteer is the driver looking for fault other than themselves.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice I was there last weekend and while my car is far from stock it was my first time pushing its limits on track and found the same thing. I was pushing in T4 and could get perfect rotation with trail braking and slight lifts in the rest of the corners.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

T4 has some nice little "steps" in the braking zone. Use the first two for slowing and just as you hit the third "riser" turn in, it compresses the outside front nicely to help you around that corner. Was there a week and a half ago and we did a track walk after the first day, the "steps" there and the "shelf" just before t1 that un-weights the front end at the end of that long braking zone were very apparent!
Liked the track better day 2 after seeing why I was unstable in those spots. T1 sucks you in with speed but you could really over cook it there if you let yourself go!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Handling problems are typically exacerbated with more grip.

I think you will find a lot of the handling myths to be true on sticker tires if you are running lap times that are competitive with your class.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

T4 was where my instructor was actually encouraging me to power drift, for the instructional experience. I had a hard time getting the S to break loose under power. Usually I would finish my braking around that third step, and do most of my steering setting up for a late apex. So pretty much right after the initial turn in, the instructor had me back to WOT in 2nd gear. The most drift I got was a little hip wiggle at the very end. Mostly it just gripped and accelerated.

I could see how adding more grip could expose some issues. I would guess that mostly the grip is not being added equally, causing the issue. I would think as you increase traction setting up the balance to favor under steer slightly will ultimately keep the car neutral.

But again, I am new to this...
Old 06-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
T4 was where my instructor was actually encouraging me to power drift, for the instructional experience. I had a hard time getting the S to break loose under power. Usually I would finish my braking around that third step, and do most of my steering setting up for a late apex. So pretty much right after the initial turn in, the instructor had me back to WOT in 2nd gear. The most drift I got was a little hip wiggle at the very end. Mostly it just gripped and accelerated.

I could see how adding more grip could expose some issues. I would guess that mostly the grip is not being added equally, causing the issue. I would think as you increase traction setting up the balance to favor under steer slightly will ultimately keep the car neutral.

But again, I am new to this...

IMO, it relies on the slip angle of tires and the experience of the driver. Car setup does have some effect, but I'm assuming that it is correct. Street tires have more room for error versus r-comps and slicks. The slip angle "peak" isn't as smooth, therefore requires a refined car control ability. With that said, characteristics of the car will come into play in this sense..
Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM

Suspension compression under lateral accel is also an issue. Seems like the S2k uses bump stops a lot... You can always test that with a zip tie around the strut tube.

Quick Reply: First Track Day with the S