S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

first-time NASA HPDE

Old 12-09-2002, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first-time NASA HPDE

I am considering taking my 2002 S2000 to the track for the first time and wanted to get some opinions/info from some of the track veterans on this board.

Is the car good enough stock to take a full weekend of NASA HPDE? If not, what would need to be changed?

Should I buy an SA2000 rated helmet or is a cheaper M rated helmet good enough for open track days?

How much track time will I get with the typical NASA event?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well

Thanks
Old 12-09-2002, 11:15 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is fine for the track, stock, especially if it's your first time to the track as well as your cars. Get as good of a helmet as you can. Remember, ultimately the helmet is there for YOUR protection. If you need it you don't want to be risking your brain just to save a few bucks. With NASA, you'll usually get about 4 15 minute sessions in a day.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:21 AM

The typical NASA event, at least around here, is 4 x 20min sessions. With atleast 1 of them cut short. You should check the schedule for your event.

I would as a minimum bring a second set of brake pads and a bottle of brake fluid. It sounds like you've never been to the track before so you are likely not to be overly hard on the car so i'd say that OEM pads will suffice as spares. If, however, you do have track experience and/or anticipate being very aggressive at the track i'd recommend better brake pads like panther plus or porterfield R4S to be used at the track. Either way i'd get a bottle of valvoline synthetic DOT4 brake fluid.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:45 AM

What my hubby and I did for our first event was to borrow a motorcycle helmet from someone - make sure it fits snugly and is pretty new. The objective was to "try it out" and not invest the $$ up front. Of course (as you will find) after that first day on the track, you will be hooked. Then, you should invest in a true SA rated helmet that fits you well. As Strike said, it's your head.

We have been doing OK with stock brake pads and upgraded fluid - davepk probably doesn't even remember what being a newbie is all about.

Go for it, and have a great time!!

(BTW, check into speedventures' events - www.speedventures.net - more track time, less money...)
Old 12-09-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My first experience taught me to go and buy a set of track pads. As Redhead says, you can go alright on stock but my experience and that of many others is stock pads fade. They get glazed and just aren't there the way you want them to be. I had to change my diapers twice on the way home from the track.

I ended up buying Panther Plus and couldn't be happier.

Did a poll a survey that might help you decide.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ighlight=laguna
Old 12-09-2002, 07:03 PM

NASA is a little stricter with their safety rules that most car clubs. (which is good from a safety standpoint) Get confirmation from the NASA tech inspector that you are okay without a rollbar in your S2000 BEFORE you send in your entry fee and head out to the track.

-Doug
Old 12-10-2002, 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the replies. This will be my first time on a road course with any car and I don't think my experience with midgets on dirt ovals will be useful, so based on what everyone said the stock brakes should do fine for the first few events. I have decided on the SA helmet because I don't think this will be the only time at the track. I have called and confirmed with the local NASA rep that the S2000 is OK with no extra rollbar, but what does happen if I show up after paying the fee and am told that a rollbar or cage is required, do they refund or am I just out the money?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't dealt with NASA in AZ, but they're pretty cool in CA. I don't think you'll have a problem. Also, NASA in CA has no problem with our car in it's stock form.