S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First HPDE in my '05

Old 01-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts
Default First HPDE in my '05

I have Mobil 1 synthetic in the motor and I'm swapping in some Motul brake fluid tomorrow. How do the stock brake pads hold up? What psi should I run on the stock tires? This particular track (Motorsport Ranch-Ft. Worth) isn't a super high speed track, I figure I'll probably hit just over 100mph on a few of the straights and 70-80mph on a couple sweepers.

Anything else I should watch out for? I have several years of track experience with a C5, but this will be my first time in the S2000.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock pads will hold up if you're not very fast. Seeing as though you have a few years experience on the track, though, I imagine you're gonna hit the limits of the stock system rather quickly. If I was you I'd begin calling around to find some aftermarket pads. If you can't find pads, just make sure you do a very thorough job of bleeding/flushing the fluid so the pads are your only problem. May want to rig some front ducts, too.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 AM

On the revisions for the AP2, Honda said they used new pad material. Any idea as to whether this is going to be better than the stock AP1 material?

I have a lot of experience on the track, so after about a half session, I'm going to be pushing the car to it's limits. I hope my pads aren't toast after the first track day. The Motul fluid flush will be thorough. A good, mechanically-inclined buddy of mine is going to help and he has some auto fluid pump that will do the full flush quickly and effectively.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 21 2006, 02:00 PM
On the revisions for the AP2, Honda said they used new pad material. Any idea as to whether this is going to be better than the stock AP1 material?

I have a lot of experience on the track, so after about a half session, I'm going to be pushing the car to it's limits. I hope my pads aren't toast after the first track day. The Motul fluid flush will be thorough. A good, mechanically-inclined buddy of mine is going to help and he has some auto fluid pump that will do the full flush quickly and effectively.
If you have a "lot" of track experience, you should change the OEM pads out. They will not handle track use (because they are not designed for that type of use). Get a set of Carbotech XP8s or some Cobalts. I use Valvoline Syntech BF and it works fine at the track, plus it only costs $5 a flush.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it OK to swap only front pads?
I only bought the front set.

thx.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StockSH,Jan 23 2006, 12:40 PM
Is it OK to swap only front pads?
Not a good idea, unless they are matching compounds.

I tried that one time, putting a higher Cf compound on the front and running OEM on the back. In only one track day (and one of my first track days, too!), I overtemped the rears so badly that they literally cooked white and crumbled to the touch.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

ask the north texas guys, someone there will know. Also there are a couple of instructors in Austin.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the info, guys! I do wish someone had definitive tech on the new pad compounds for the AP2 cars. I am not abusive on the brakes, but I will be pushing the car very hard (at least as hard as the stock tires will allow), so will obviously need the pads to hold up.

I did a full Motul brake fluid flush this past weekend and am running synthetic in the motor, so I should be good to go there.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Jan 24 2006, 11:22 AM] Thanks for the info, guys!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 311 Likes on 149 Posts

If you have "lots of track experience" then you should know that street pads of ANY kind will just not hold up on track; they will fade and/or wear out within a single day. Even if Honda made a minor tweak to the compound, it's still a street pad and will still disintegrate under hard use.

What's the real question here? Can you get away with it for a day? Well maybe, sure, but you'll be worrying about brakes all day and will have to buy a new set of street pads when you get home. Oh, and they're no cheaper than race pads, so you'll be spending the same amount of money -- why not just suck it up and do it right?

Quick Reply: First HPDE in my '05