S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First autox with Tein RS suspension, how to start tuning?

Old 01-17-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title says most of it, my friend and I will soon be autocrossing a 2001 with Tein RS springs and shocks. I've never raced with adjustable suspension components, and I am wondering if anyone can give us some suggestions on a baseline setup?

The car is currently stock (suspension wise) and has a relatively aggressive autox alignment. My questions center in two details:

Ride height- how low to set the coilovers when using 17" wheels

Dampener settings - where to start on rebound and compression. I have always felt the stock shocks could use more rebound dampening.

Alignment - are there new things to consider with adjustable coilovers? Or does the "get as much negative camber as you can" rule still apply?

I would prefer to set up a bit of understeer to begin with so we can work up to a more neutral setup slowly. Our autox location is on a natural roadcourse (they lay out cones ect.) and there are walls and tire barriers to hit if you screw up. Krasik is hosting a video of our location on his gofastvideo.com site, so you can see why I want a "consevative" setup to begin with.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:19 PM

A local team just started setting up an ASP S2000, starting with Tein RS. They're having a heck of a time getting the car dialed in. I'm not sure if any of them follow this board or not.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:26 PM

Just make them full stiff... max everything, and drop the car to the ground. (nah)

Here's a link to the PDF on their recommendations. It also lists their suggested hide height.

TEIN's Website

Otherwise, I'd give Joey a call... he's running them so he may have some pointers for you guys.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the link, Jimmy.

Colin: I couldn't print out the installation manual due to a pdf error on my end (could be MAC related). Could you try it on your PC? The coilovers are still sitting in my living room.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:39 AM

No problem, I can print it up, though it's rather vague on lots of things. It suggests that you start in the middle and work from there..... duh. I was hoping for a better starting point. Part of me even thinks its better to do it after the next autox. Especially if we could find a place to "test" settings though I think this is unlikely.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by smccurry
Thanks for the link, Jimmy.

Colin: I couldn't print out the installation manual due to a pdf error on my end (could be MAC related). Could you try it on your PC? The coilovers are still sitting in my living room.
OH MAN! Don't ever admit it's you Mac.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:27 AM

Colin,

What I'd do in that situation is go with the recommended settings from Tein and go from there. I'm sure that you've already thought of this but here it is anyhow.

1. As mentioned earlier, set the suspension to Tein's recommended settings first, as a base reference point.

2. Contact Tein via email in the meantime for more information, tips and advice on tuning, if any.

3. Leave the perches alone (don't alter ride height) and start tuning 1 thing only, like rebound dampening. IMHO, I never believed that the S2000's stock compression settings needed any work (or rebound for normal street driving for that matter), but for competition use I'd go for a little more rebound control.

4. Show up for this year's test and tune day. I hope I can be there too... I'll gladly help you guys out in anyway I can.