S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First auto-x next weekend

Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First auto-x next weekend

I truly believe the best way to know the limits of a car it to track it, esp auto-x. That said I also love auto-x'ing, but my schedule doesnt usually allow me to attend regularly.

I want to see how my stock tires perform, so Im running stock rubber - stock everything for that matter.

I've read the FAQ, etc... but was wondering if anyone had some sage advice for someone whose only had an S for 3500 miles, and has yet to launch it...

THANKS!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:23 AM

Malakas

Hopefully you are going to an Autocross Practice day and not a Championship event.

You will only get three runs if it is an event for a total of about 3 minutes of seat time.

At a practice you should get 10 -15 laps.

The best advice is to have fun. Try to look ahead and try to drive smooth. You should apply both the brake and the throttle smoothly but completely. The same when you turn the car.

Get to the event early and walk the course as many times as you can. Ask questions to the other drivers walking, most will be happy to share.

Your stock tires will do OK, but they have their limits. If you do spin the car, remember clutch in and apply the brake. Don
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. One thing I'm afraid of is steering since the S has much sharper steering than my last car (which was FWD). I fear that if I jerk the wheel too fast, I'll spin... I guess we'll see
Old 11-09-2005, 11:54 AM

I saw NOLA in your sig... are you going to a CENLA or DELTA event at the EVO center? If so, which one? I'll prob be there and you're free to ride along if you want.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you will not be breaking any records so my advice is:

1) have fun

2) try and hang out with/ride along with people who know what they are doing. You will learn a lot that way

3) OK, I guess I have to throw in: Look ahead, look far ahead
Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add my .02

Spend as much time walking the course as possible. You won't be fast at all at your first event, so just focus on getting through the course without making any mistakes.

And like everyone else, have fun!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Malakas,Nov 9 2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. One thing I'm afraid of is steering since the S has much sharper steering than my last car (which was FWD). I fear that if I jerk the wheel too fast, I'll spin... I guess we'll see
well...good luck at your first event. I know you were probably just trying to make a point of how little experience you've had in the car but launching won't make a bit of difference so don't worry about that. Jerking the wheel too fast won't probably be the cause of a potential spin. It will be throttle modulation exiting a turn. The greatest thing about a spin in autox is you don't really wreck you just stuff a bunch of cones....stop...then shake your head as you exit the course.

imo...autocrossing helps a lot but tracking is really how you learn your car because it's more real life experience....people might flame me on that but i feel they both have a time and place but being on a track is a better learning experience (and more fun imo).

autocrossers are cool...don't get me wrong..different strokes. The S happens to be excellent in both. Enjoy! good luck

SO2's are fine...make sure to play with the pressures. Another S autox issue is gearing...depending on the course you'll be on sometimes it's tough to figure out whether or not to stay in 2nd the whole run...i'd say as a beginner it's better to eliminate as many shifts as possible
Old 11-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by p0pe,Nov 9 2005, 12:54 PM
I'll prob be there and you're free to ride along if you want.
Would definately love a ride. Going to the CENLA event on the 20th... had not been watching the DELTA page so I didn't see the event from the 6th until I alread had Saints tickets (should have gone to the race instead).

Thanks to all for the comments. Looking forward to my auto-X in the S - it should be much different than when I had a GTI.

WVTwisties: I wish we had some track days here...
Old 11-09-2005, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=WVtwisties,Nov 9 2005, 06:26 PM]imo...autocrossing helps a lot but tracking is really how you learn your car because it's more real life experience....people might flame me on that but i feel they both have a time and place but being on a track is a better learning experience (and more fun imo).
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cone_Killa,Nov 9 2005, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry, but how is being on the track more real life experience??? How often are you going 100+ mph on the road and taking turns at over 100 mph? IMO, it's the other way around, autox helps you more everyday by making you more aware of what's going on around you and makes you a safer driver by helping you avoid accidents, mainly because of the faster reflexes you develop.

What's that saying... "Autocrossers always make good road racer. Road racers don't always make good autocrossers."?

Quick Reply: First auto-x next weekend