S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't

Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
i used to work at a firestone, so i have a tad of insight here. its probably not even a safety issue, its the fact they dont want people coming in there raising hell because their tires were gone in 10k miles. also, to the guy who said the alignment can be bad even if the numbers were correct... the guy(s) doing your alignment are IDIOTS. of course suspension height and load on the car will change the measurements. that is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard
Yeah, I agree that the guys are not the brightest bulbs out there. When I asked if I could sit in the drivers seat to make the alignment more exact, the service writer just couldn't understand how that could make any difference. But then he goes on to mention how for some cars the procedure calls for placing sandbags in the drivers seat (BMW's), but he didn't understand how thats the same thing as me wanting to sit in the car.

Then, as they are pulling the car up to the ramp, they are commenting how it will be difficult to get it up there because it's lowered. WTF? I just changed it to a CR shock/spring combo, so it acutally sits higher than stock slightly...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by hatrickstu' timestamp='1314030099' post='20901636
i used to work at a firestone, so i have a tad of insight here. its probably not even a safety issue, its the fact they dont want people coming in there raising hell because their tires were gone in 10k miles. also, to the guy who said the alignment can be bad even if the numbers were correct... the guy(s) doing your alignment are IDIOTS. of course suspension height and load on the car will change the measurements. that is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard
Yeah, I agree that the guys are not the brightest bulbs out there. When I asked if I could sit in the drivers seat to make the alignment more exact, the service writer just couldn't understand how that could make any difference. But then he goes on to mention how for some cars the procedure calls for placing sandbags in the drivers seat (BMW's), but he didn't understand how thats the same thing as me wanting to sit in the car.

Then, as they are pulling the car up to the ramp, they are commenting how it will be difficult to get it up there because it's lowered. WTF? I just changed it to a CR shock/spring combo, so it acutally sits higher than stock slightly...

Too funny.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

you sitting in the car would not make a difference BECAUSE THEY HAD IT LIFTED. dude is a TOTAL f@#king moron
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM

you sitting in the car would not make a difference BECAUSE THEY HAD IT LIFTED. dude is a TOTAL f@#king moron
Not sure what you mean....
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it's an anamoly, but it's still worth sharing. About 6 years ago we had one of our DSM's (a 1991 Eclispe GSX making around 350whp at the time) get aligned at a Firestone here in CT. We dropped it off in the morning. They said it would be done after lunch and a road test. What they didn't know is that we were waiting at a car dealership a mile up the road and got a birds eye view of this "road test." We bore witness to the guy launching the car off of the two step rev limiter at a stop light, running up the gears at WOT to redline and no-lift shifting each one as he blew by us at ~100mph in a 50mph zone with the external wastegate dumping in all it's deafening glory. Needless to say, after holding my brother back from breaking the guys nose, the Firestone Manager "waived the charges."

We haven't been back since.

Nick
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Haha....well, at least you got a "road test". Miguel, at Laguna Hills, just parked it in the parking lot. Didn't road test it at all.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu' timestamp='1314119659' post='20905390
if the vehicle is not sitting down on the wheels (you said they lifted it) then you sitting it would not matter because nothing is changing.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha....well, at least you got a "road test". Miguel, at Laguna Hills, just parked it in the parking lot. Didn't road test it at all.
lol true!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1314199314' post='20908850
[quote name='hatrickstu' timestamp='1314119659' post='20905390']
if the vehicle is not sitting down on the wheels (you said they lifted it) then you sitting it would not matter because nothing is changing.
[/quote]

Ahh, know I understand what you mean, although what I said is that they "pulled it up on the ramp".

However, by definition, an a wheel alignment requires the car to have it's weight on all four wheels, as well as to be level.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatrickstu' timestamp='1314205229' post='20909299
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1314199314' post='20908850']
[quote name='hatrickstu' timestamp='1314119659' post='20905390']
[/quote]

Ahh, know I understand what you mean, although what I said is that they "pulled it up on the ramp".

However, by definition, an a wheel alignment requires the car to have it's weight on all four wheels, as well as to be level.
[/quote]

Its ok, Mr. Firestone totally lost me on that comment as well.

Quick Reply: Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't