S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by chimps' timestamp='1312992782' post='20864912
i have a lifetime deal at a firestone in so cal.

it works for me for my basic needs. i'm lowered on spec-r's so i'm not getting cornerweighted and all that. there is only 1 guy in the shop i request to work on my car and he's able to give me custom alignment settings - he'll even ask if your driving style, etc if you talk to him. apparently lots of dudes who race and also those who have lifted trucks go to him..dunno if that's true but he's been good so far. i've already got my money's worth for the price of the lifetime package

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me which Firestone it is? They tell me that this deal is transferable to all the dealers, so if it's not to far, I'll go there.
i go to the firestone at the laguna hills mall. miguel is the only guy i ask for. he's an older gentleman who is their lead alignment guy from what i understand. he told me he's done alignments for a bunch of s2k's, so that made my decision easier for me to get their lifetime package

i've been really happy with his work - it's local and easy.
however, firestones are notorious for being slow... one day my car was there for like 3.5 hours, and another it was there for 45 min...sooooo, if you do go to that firestone, there's an in-n-out in the parking lot and a mall for you to walk around if u chose to stick around while they do their work. i usually just drop my car off and have my girl drive separately so i can leave off site and go run errands in the meantime.

i've never noticed any damage to my car while they try to get it up on the alignment rack, however i'm not nearly as slammed as some out there either

if you got more questions, let me know
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1312996023' post='20865158
if the computer printout says what it says, and it's what you want, how can it be "bad"?
I recently figured out that the rack at my local Les Schwab has different degrees of tilt depending on what height it's at. In other words, they'd raise my car up to align it, then when it was put down, it would have different settings than what the printout said because the printout readings were taken with the car canted slightly to the left.

Well that's pretty frickin' lame. Did they fix it?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by chimps
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1312995962' post='20865149
[quote name='chimps' timestamp='1312992782' post='20864912']

it works for me for my basic needs. i'm lowered on spec-r's so i'm not getting cornerweighted and all that. there is only 1 guy in the shop i request to work on my car and he's able to give me custom alignment settings - he'll even ask if your driving style, etc if you talk to him. apparently lots of dudes who race and also those who have lifted trucks go to him..dunno if that's true but he's been good so far. i've already got my money's worth for the price of the lifetime package

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me which Firestone it is? They tell me that this deal is transferable to all the dealers, so if it's not to far, I'll go there.
i go to the firestone at the laguna hills mall. miguel is the only guy i ask for. he's an older gentleman who is their lead alignment guy from what i understand. he told me he's done alignments for a bunch of s2k's, so that made my decision easier for me to get their lifetime package

however, firestones are notorious for being slow... one day my car was there for like 3.5 hours, and another it was there for 45 min...sooooo, if you do go to that firestone, there's an in-n-out in the parking lot and a mall for you to walk around if u chose to stick around while they do their work. i usually just drop my car off and have my girl drive separately so i can leave off site and go run errands in the meantime.

i've never noticed any damage to my car while they try to get it up on the alignment rack, however i'm not nearly as slammed as some out there either

[/quote]

Ahh, good. I live in Corona, but make it down to OC once a week. But it would still be nice to have a closer one.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, i would def. opt for a closer alignment place, it makes everything easier.

happy searching, and hope you find a good guy to do ur alignment work

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by chimps' timestamp='1313002035' post='20865570
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1312995962' post='20865149']

[/quote]

Ahh, good. I live in Corona, but make it down to OC once a week. But it would still be nice to have a closer one.
[/quote]
Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically racers want the alignment set to a tenth of a degree. I've been to alignment shops where they call that a "precision alignment", or they don't even understand why you would want that. They have a computer that tells them the manufacturer's specs, and if all the numbers light up green, then the car is properly aligned and they don't need to touch it.

I expect that the "lifetime alignment" deal was intended to cover that level of accuracy -- otherwise it would have to cost more. I can easily imagine them taking that position if you take too much advantage of the deal...
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay $100 each time. Boy do I wish I could just pay one lifetime lump sum.

Last year I did 6
This year Im doing my second on Tuesday.

8 alignments= $800 fml

I think I'm going to start doing them
Myself though
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh7owens

Last year I did 6

8 alignments= $800 fml

Myself though

I really like being able to do my own alignments. It's not that hard if you have a level place to do it, it just takes a little practice. I have gotten it very wrong a few times but I have got it down now. I don't have to worry if I am working on the car Saturday before a race about getting it done before the alignment shop closes, or if I just want to try a little more/less toe. The first few times you do it you may want to take to in to the shop and have them check it on their machine.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens

Last year I did 6

8 alignments= $800 fml

Myself though

Whew...that's a lot of dough! I'd at least try to cut a deal with them.

Recently I went to the place that I used to get oil changes at (it was $39 for synthetic) cause the advertise a $49 4 wheel alignment. Great deal I thought!

Until when I got there...they said the $49 covers checking the alignment. If anything needs adjustment, they charge extra! By the adjustment even! Like, an extra $49 for toe, and $39 for camber and $49 for caster, etc.!!

I left.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John (or Johnny) at La Habra location (Imperial and Beach) can do wonders.
he's also a fellow S2k owner and he can work on spec you want, IF he is available.

verdict is, if you can get the alignment the specs you want, then i think it is a good deal.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimps
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1312995962' post='20865149

[/quote]

I used to go to Miguel as well! I stopped going though as they don't really have ramps and it was very hard to get my car up. I wasn't even that low but my car was bottoming out at the top of the ramp.

Quick Reply: Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't