S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't

So, the Firestone dealers around here in SoCal have a lifetime alignment deal for about $160. Went in and talked to them. They encourage alignments at least twice per year if not more, and they said they have no issues with aligning the car to the specs I request.

They do use a "laser" system (not sure what brand yet), not manual.

Assuming they do a good job, is there any reason I shouldn't take advantage of this?

This would same me a lot of money in the long run, over the next 5 years, by being able to change the alignment for autocross vs. track vs street, etc. several times per year.

Comments?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a good deal if you trust the guys working there and have some confidence they'll stick around for more than 6 months. I have the same deal with Goodyear and it works fine. They are "car guys" and have long ramps to get my lowered S up there.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a lifetime deal at a firestone in so cal.

it works for me for my basic needs. i'm lowered on spec-r's so i'm not getting cornerweighted and all that. there is only 1 guy in the shop i request to work on my car and he's able to give me custom alignment settings - he'll even ask if your driving style, etc if you talk to him. apparently lots of dudes who race and also those who have lifted trucks go to him..dunno if that's true but he's been good so far. i've already got my money's worth for the price of the lifetime package
Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Good deal IF they have a good tech, and are willing to do settings you want.

I have gotten very good and very bad alignments from the same firestons by my house. I now do my own alignments, the last one I got was so bad I could do better in my driveway with some tow plates and digital level.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by chimps
i have a lifetime deal at a firestone in so cal.

it works for me for my basic needs. i'm lowered on spec-r's so i'm not getting cornerweighted and all that. there is only 1 guy in the shop i request to work on my car and he's able to give me custom alignment settings - he'll even ask if your driving style, etc if you talk to him. apparently lots of dudes who race and also those who have lifted trucks go to him..dunno if that's true but he's been good so far. i've already got my money's worth for the price of the lifetime package

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me which Firestone it is? They tell me that this deal is transferable to all the dealers, so if it's not to far, I'll go there.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by rjones

I have gotten very good and very bad alignments from the same firestons by my house. I now do my own alignments, the last one I got was so bad I could do better in my driveway with some tow plates and digital level.

Excuse a newbie type question, but if the computer printout says what it says, and it's what you want, how can it be "bad"?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My local firestone will only do stock alignments. If they could do custom alignments, I'd be all over the deal.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
if the computer printout says what it says, and it's what you want, how can it be "bad"?
I recently figured out that the rack at my local Les Schwab has different degrees of tilt depending on what height it's at. In other words, they'd raise my car up to align it, then when it was put down, it would have different settings than what the printout said because the printout readings were taken with the car canted slightly to the left.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by rjones' timestamp='1312992893' post='20864919

Excuse a newbie type question, but if the computer printout says what it says, and it's what you want, how can it be "bad"?

In my case the Tech did not care if he did a good job or not. The numbers on the printout were all over the place and no where near what I wanted.

I guess I should have made him do it right, but it was easier to just fix it myself rather than fight with people that don't care.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys share which Firestone locations you had good experiences with?

Quick Reply: Firestone Alignment - any reason I shouldn't