S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Experience with Truechoice/Koni coilovers ?

Old 02-11-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Truechoice/Koni coilovers ?

In my continuing quest to obtain intelligence on coilovers for road & track, I would appreciate feedback from anyone having experience with Koni coilovers, as modified by Truechoice.

www.truechoice.com/products/suspension.html

The phase 3 suspension solution appears very attractive in that this damper that can withstand the rigors of the street (as opposed to "race" coilovers), is double adjustable, and is valved for a chosen spring-rate. Additionally, it can be revalved or refreshed in a relatively short turnaround time, and the Eibach springs can be chosen from a vast inventory. Finally, if the right spring-rate/valving combination was not chosen initially, a new spring could be chosen and the shock revalved for it (if the new spring rate in outside the range of the valving).

Comments please...

Pierre
Old 02-15-2003, 08:52 AM

Nobody?????????? ??????????
Old 02-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Sev

Pierre, its very difficult to get this kind of info for our car. The consensus seems to be that without spending some big $$$, one cannot improve by much on the stock suspension.

I am running KG/MM Dr21 Race springs on the car, they drop by 1.5 inches and make the car much stiffer. It is definately under-damped. I was thinking of swapping for some Koni Yellows but it seems that they won't be any better than stock, at least, thats what I have read. The s2k does 0 racing for now so I am not going to put big money into it. So I am stock with OEM shocks for now...

No definite answers, its just subjective opinions unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:02 PM
pfb

The true-choice system looks a lot like some of the Ground Control options. Eibach springs (pick your rate) with G.C. manufactured threaded mounts giving ride height adjustability. G.C. has options for stock shocks, Koni S.A.'s, Koni D.A.'s, and their own high end "advance design" shock.

Not sure if GC does custom revalving of Koni's, though.

What does truechoice get for their phase 3 solution?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:27 PM

True Choice is one of the few Koni authorized rebuild centers in the US. However, just b/c they have that ability, proper tools, etc., does not mean that they build and tune the best suspension setups.

I think GC has more real world experience and is more exacting than TC. OTOH, I believe that GC and TC work together on some hardware.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed some KONI Yellows on stock springs this weekend. Once I get an alignment and some track time I'll be issuing my report

Thanks to the KONI folks for sending these out! My first real perk and all I had to do was install them and tell everyone how they work. I love this job

Note to manufacturers: Please send me some free stuff and I'll be happy to do the same
Old 05-09-2003, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what ever happened with the report?