S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

evo and s2k

Old 01-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evo and s2k

Whats up guys,
I was just wanting to hear your thoughts on how equal or not the evo and s2k are on an autox course. At last weeks autox I was about .5 to .8 sec behind some of the better s2k's in my region (one of which set FTD, the bastard, hehe)I was wondering if this is about right as far as the cars are concerned. I know driver has everything to do with it. But given equal drivers, about how well do they stack up against each other. I was just wondering what to expect this upcoming season. Thanks guys
Old 01-22-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, for nationally-competitive drivers/cars, the S has remained on top by a decent margin. I don't know if that will change with development or if all the Evos and STis will run off to ESP...
Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 AM

ive driven both a lot and have always done better in the s2k at autocrosses. keep in mind these are mostly local ones. so the course is smaller than at nationals.

as for as the track, expect the evo to be a couple seconds faster since hp and torque are coming into play a lot more. thats just my experience from driving my friends evos.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys,

I really dont know a whole lot about the s2000, besides that they can be very fast and are usually in contention for the fastest time of the day. I think the mass exodus to ESP has already started. Some of the guys I run with, one with an sti and one with a very competitive 04 cobra are making the jump this season just because of the s2000. Last weeks autox was writing on the wall so to speak for them. Since I was not too far off the winners time, I want to hang around a little longer and see where I stack up. But in the end I am pretty sure I will jump to ESP as well.

Also, sorry to ask such a noob question, but I have never driven or taken a ride in a s2k, and was wondering does your car tend toward oversteer, understeer, etc. From the results, it seems to be pretty balanced. My car suffers understeer....big time. I also dive into the corners pretty hard though, so that is probably the reason. Even with alot of trail braking it still does not want to rotate.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:24 AM

1) It's a convenient thing to do to change to ESP but I have to question why. I personally wouldn't switch just because I can't hang with the front-runners - I'll likely never truly be able to beat the best. Doesn't change the enjoyment. Besides, this way you can have fun beating the guys who DID jump.

2) You can make any car over/understeer by driver inputs. With the S the car is well balanced but prone to oversteer due to typical tires size choice, at least for the pre-'04 16" wheels. Come in too hot and you'll understeer. Pitch the car abruptly and the car rotates on a dime. I have no idea what is needed for an AWD car but I have to wonder if rally-style driving gets you faster - cause the car to rotate into a 4 wheel drift and use the power and AWD to pull you through. Of course, this isn't even close to a SWAG - it's just me trying to make the gray matter do something it isn't used to...