S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

ENKEI WHEEL "GROUP BUY" FEELER THREAD

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already make the 17x10+38. I have a set on my car and f20kills also ran this same set without problems on stock flared fenders. As Living in the redline said, the 17x10 +50 RPF1 would fill a void in this size for the s2000 and be the new 17x9 +45 RPF1. It would fit stock fenders with the right combination of tire size and camber specs.

17x10 +50 and 255 RS3s on mildly flared fenders I did a while back. Camber specs were very mild, but I cant remember the exact number.

By spunkysandoval at 2012-06-06

Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be in for a set of 17"x9" +63 GTC01 or RSM9

http://www.enkei.com/racing.shtml
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio
Mark (colatkitty) said that from his experience the Enkei NT03+M is the strongest wheel Enkei makes. He said that he has bent and re-bent countless wheels (and so have I), but he has never been able to bend the NT03+M despite all his abuse. If you could make a custom size/offset, I believe the ideal combination for the track would be 17x10 +40.

I believe +40 is ideal because:
- if you have an offset higher than +40, the wheel will be too close to the inside of the wheel well, and will actually rub against the inside of the wheel well under full compression. This applies mainly to people who are lowered on coilovers. For example, I run +48 offset, and there is actually a pretty severe wear mark because of the contact the tire makes against the inside wheel well. You can even see it starting to crack from the engine bay.
- if you have an offset lower than +40, the wheel will be too outboard to make it fit well without extensive fender modification. You can roll and pull the fender to fit +40 pretty easily.

I believe 10" width is ideal because:
- 255 is the best tire width for non-staggered naturally aspirated S2000's, too much more and the tire just does not get up to temp as well. 10" is the high end of the recommended wheel width for 255 tire.
- if you are going to make a 9.5" width, you might as well go for the 17x9.5 +38 which is being produced already.

Bottom line: there is no one who makes an affordable 17x10 +40 wheel that is strong enough to hold up against the abuse of the track. (And no, I don't consider $2700 BBS RG-R or $3000 Volk TE37 as affordable.) Make this wheel and it will sell like hotcakes amongst the racing community.
I'm in on any 17X10 that won't rub on the inner side. NT03+M are my vote on style.

But I've got the 17X9 +45 and the 17X10 + 50's would give 18 less inner clearance. Anyone know if there is enough room for this?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Since it is the tire that is contacting the inner wheel well and not the wheel itself, the offset and tire width is the only thing that really matters. So if you go from +45 to +50, you are losing 5 mm of clearance on the inside, not 18. I will tell you now that +48 with 255 width RS3 already rubs on the inside, so I don't know why people are asking for +50. They are either not lowered 1" or more, are not driving hard enough to reach full compression, or haven't taken a good look at the inside of the wheel well. I am lowered 1" on Evasive-Spec TEIN SRC (16 kg/mm springs) with -3.3 camber in the front with a J's L2 camber joint. I am rubbing on the inside pretty severely on full compression.

Maybe a compromise would be 17x10 +42?

Also, according to Enkei, 17x9.5 +38 is the only 17" NT03+M wheel that Enkei makes. I don't see a 17x10 +38 listed there. If they do make these, know anyone who stocks them?

http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/NT03.pdf
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are doing custom sizes then I would also be interested in 17x9 rpf1 +60-63

Black or silver
Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Nam, I think the stock the 17x10 +38 in RPF1 and not NT03+M. I know ASM made modifications to the body to make sure they don't contact the wheel well. Also, I think Dustin meant that going from 9" +45 to 10" +50 will decrease the inner clearance by 18mm. I once remembered hearing that the offset is quite important to suspension design. I have absolutely no idea where I heard this from but the point sounded somewhat valid.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM

What's easier: running a lower offset wheel and paying $100 to flare out your fenders a bit more, or making modifications to the body so it doesn't contact the wheel well?

I know RPF1 comes in 17x10 +38, but it is notoriously weak. I was asking specifically about the NT03+M which is supposedly much, much stronger.

What I am trying to express here on this thread are some things that are (or should be) important to people who track their cars hard.

1) Strength. I don't want a wheel that will bend. Strength is more important than light weight. If you can get a forged wheel and have both, then great. But strength always wins.

2) Fitment. If you are lowered and track your car hard, you will realize that you actually need a low offset to avoid rubbing on the inside of the wheel well. You can always flare your fenders more, but you can't punch out the inside of the wheel well (at least not cost effectively).

3) Size. 17x10 > 17x9.5 >> 17x9

That said, I don't understand why in a R&C forum people are looking for 17x9 +60 RPF1. It's weak, it will rub against the inside wheel well if you are lowered, and it isn't the optimum wheel size for 255 tire. Just... why?

David, when you are talking about clearance, you need to be very specific about what you are talking about. If you are talking about the tire contacting against the inner wheel well, then you need to think about only the offset and the tire width. If you are talking about the wheel contacting against the A-arms at full lock, then yes, you need to think about the offset and the wheel width. We know that 17x10 +55 will clear the A-arms, because 949Racing made them--so it only makes logical sense that 17x10 +50 will also clear. But I believe Dustin wasn't talking about clearance of the A-arms, he was talking about his tire contacting the inner wheel well at full compression. Especially since he is lowered about the same as me and is running sticky NT01 tires.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM

That's true. Then again means you need more spring Nam. Go 20k!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio
Since it is the tire that is contacting the inner wheel well and not the wheel itself, the offset and tire width is the only thing that really matters. So if you go from +45 to +50, you are losing 5 mm of clearance on the inside, not 18. I will tell you now that +48 with 255 width RS3 already rubs on the inside, so I don't know why people are asking for +50. They are either not lowered 1" or more, are not driving hard enough to reach full compression, or haven't taken a good look at the inside of the wheel well. I am lowered 1" on Evasive-Spec TEIN SRC (16 kg/mm springs) with -3.3 camber in the front with a J's L2 camber joint. I am rubbing on the inside pretty severely on full compression.

Maybe a compromise would be 17x10 +42?

Also, according to Enkei, 17x9.5 +38 is the only 17" NT03+M wheel that Enkei makes. I don't see a 17x10 +38 listed there. If they do make these, know anyone who stocks them?

http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/NT03.pdf
I really need to wrap my head around this. Wouldn't the 10 increase 26 mm over the 9 in overall width? The 18 I was referring to be less inner clearance from my current 17X9 +45 and extend the wheel out by 8mm. The extend can be easily fixed by spunky. But I wouldn't want inner rubbing which would require a spacer which kind of defeats this "feeler". 17X10+40's seem like a win.

Anyone with the 949's that were 17X10 +52 have inner rubbing issues? I would think those would have to rub the front lower A-arm at full lock.

I had major rubbing on the A-arm with the +63 up front on a prior set. I also had inner fender rubbing cause of the softer springs. Both have been corrected which is why I wouldn't want to sacrifice the inner clearance which is difficult to properly correct without a BFH.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Dustin, try to visualize what is actually contacting the wheel well. It isn't the wheel that is touching the inner wheel well, it is the tire. Let's say you kept the offset exactly the same, but made the wheel 1" wider. The tire would still be centered at exactly where it was before, since the offset hasn't changed. The tire sidewall would be stretched out a bit more, but the inner shoulder would still be in approximately the same position as it was before. Therefore, the clearance has not changed. That is why only the tire width and offset matters when you are talking about clearance between the tire and the inner wheel well. I do acknowledge that the tire width will change a bit when you make the wheel wider, which is why manufacturers state what wheel width the tire was measured on when they give tire width specifications. But adding 1" to the wheel will not magically make the tire width 1" wider.

Dustin, are you saying that you are not getting inner wheel well rubbing with +45 offset on 255 tire? Then maybe 17x10 +42 would be a win? All I know is that 17x9 +48 will rub against the inner wheel well with 255 tire, because that is what I am running. If an extra 3mm of clearance alleviates that problem, then 17x10 +42 might work (accounting for an extra 3mm of clearance for the gain in tire width when running wider wheel).

Quick Reply: ENKEI WHEEL "GROUP BUY" FEELER THREAD