S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

ENKEI WHEEL "GROUP BUY" FEELER THREAD

Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by xraymd
Originally Posted by THMotorsports' timestamp='1340122062' post='21794066
After speaking with my contact for ENKEI custom wheel setup it's clear that ENKEI wants to do something for us here. ... With that said, Enkei CAN NOT do any of the popular sizing we have listed here with those wheels. ENKEI is considering other options to offer S2Ki.

THMotorsports is not going to walk away from this. If ENKEI can not deliver, we WILL find another perfect wheel for the S2Ki people. All options are still up for grabs.
quote snipped for brevity.

Waitasec here. That confused me. You're saying that Enkei wants to provide a wheel for S2KI, and you want to sell us that wheel, just not the one we want?

This thread had such promise.....
It still has promise. But I rather be upfront with you than not. At no point did I promise anything nor did I confirm anything at all. We are still speaking with ENKEI with getting something done. Please be patient. With great success comes failure at first. I'm sure ENKEI needs some heat.

Originally Posted by arggg45
Let me make sure I understand. Enkei wants to build us a wheel that isn't in the sizes we want? That's really economically sound..../sarcasm

It's easy to know what fits for the STR crowd. 17x9 +60 to 63. As for BBK fitment, I'll let someone with a BBK speak to it.
I wish ENKEI was on the same page as you and I. We will update you guys as soon as I have word again.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
Originally Posted by xraymd' timestamp='1340124220' post='21794184
[quote name='THMotorsports' timestamp='1340122062' post='21794066']
After speaking with my contact for ENKEI custom wheel setup it's clear that ENKEI wants to do something for us here. ... With that said, Enkei CAN NOT do any of the popular sizing we have listed here with those wheels. ENKEI is considering other options to offer S2Ki.

THMotorsports is not going to walk away from this. If ENKEI can not deliver, we WILL find another perfect wheel for the S2Ki people. All options are still up for grabs.

Waitasec here. That confused me. You're saying that Enkei wants to provide a wheel for S2KI, and you want to sell us that wheel, just not the one we want?

It still has promise. But I rather be upfront with you than not. At no point did I promise anything nor did I confirm anything at all. We are still speaking with ENKEI with getting something done. Please be patient. With great success comes failure at first. I'm sure ENKEI needs some heat.

Let me make sure I understand. Enkei wants to build us a wheel that isn't in the sizes we want? That's really economically sound..../sarcasm

It's easy to know what fits for the STR crowd. 17x9 +60 to 63. As for BBK fitment, I'll let someone with a BBK speak to it.
I wish ENKEI was on the same page as you and I. We will update you guys as soon as I have word again.
[/quote]

Thank you for posting an update. I was beginning to think this was dead in the water.

I feel like the move to a 10" +42-45ish can't be an unrealistic request. Does anyone know of cars that share our bolt pattern that these wheels could be cross marketed to? I can't believe that we are the only ones that would benefit from this void in width and offset being filled.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
Originally Posted by THMotorsports' timestamp='1340316652' post='21801413
[quote name='xraymd' timestamp='1340124220' post='21794184']
[quote name='THMotorsports' timestamp='1340122062' post='21794066']

[/quote]

Thank you for posting an update. I was beginning to think this was dead in the water.

I feel like the move to a 10" +42-45ish can't be an unrealistic request. Does anyone know of cars that share our bolt pattern that these wheels could be cross marketed to? I can't believe that we are the only ones that would benefit from this void in width and offset being filled.
[/quote]

This was the reply from Performance Rush that has the other group buy going (17x9.5 +55). The only other cars that I think would benefit from this are the RX-8, which is kind of sort of de-funct, and the STI. 370z can accommodate much lower offsets. EVOs use lower offsets also. BMW has much lower offset and I think also has a different drill/bolt pattern. Porsche has a different drill/bolt pattern.

I'm not sure about vettes. At this point, I'm ready to buy a used set of 17x9.5 +44 for less than $900. I just don't want to then find out later, that an affordable 17x10 is out on the market 6 months or something after I buy.

Essentially, very few manufacturers are willing to make new molds...

Originally Posted by Performance Rush
Unfortunately Bullwings is correct

I do think the RPF1 would be awesome in an 17x9 +60, because it is about 2 lbs per wheel lighter than the PF01 that is out.

However, Enkei (and a couple other manufacturers, from what I have found), are very averse to creating a new mold...the most customization they want to do is redrilled bolt pattern (as with this mold) or custom finish. It is not merely due to the cost of creating the mold, but the fact they have to go through the wheel testing process to get them certified, which adds additional time and cost.

VIA mark
As a light alloy wheel is an important safety part for vehicles and its safety quality can affect human lives, any organizations that manufacture and sell light alloy wheels or testing organizations that inspect and check aftermarket wheels need to do so based upon the technical standards approved by MLIT, and to have them registered accordingly. This is known as VIA registration.
Registration is performed by the Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council (hereafter referred to as “the Council”) and testing and registration are performed by the Japan Vehicle Inspection Association (hereafter referred to as Vehicle Inspection).
VIA is a registered trademark of the Japan Vehicle Inspection Association.

Bullwings, sending you a PM.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I can count at least 3 or 4 low cost options for 17x9 +60 to +63. There's the pf-01, TR motorsports C3, TSW nurburgring, and there was the 949 ulr. There's no point in that specific wheel being made unless it weighs less than 16 pounds, which is what all the str auto-x people want, hence the push specifically for the rpf-1, since it's light. Don't bother with something else unless you can get it under 16 pounds, if not, buy one of the other three wheels listed.
To clarify, the K4R (I assume that is what you meant by "that specific wheel") as listed on Tirerack is 15ish pounds but only comes as a 17x8 +45. The TR C3 is heavy (19#), as is the TSW, also 19#, and is more expensive than the TR C3. The PF01 is lightish but has a bad offset that can cause rubbing at lowered ride heights (fender work not allowed in STR) so that is a suboptimal option. The 949 wheel is not light enough to be a compelling alternative to the TR C3.

edit: totally agree that if this "new wheel" isn't lighter than 16 lbs the existing options will have to do.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ehh...I wouldn't exactly say vaporware, it's condensing now. Talked with Emilio in person, said soon, very soon......
Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Ehh...I wouldn't exactly say vaporware, it's condensing now. Talked with Emilio in person, said soon, very soon......

I sure hope you are right. I edited out "vaporware" as it seemed a bit harsh. My apologies. If Emilio can deliver that would be great--it has been a long road for that saga.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dead I assume?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S2k007
Dead I assume?

Nope. Not by any means. We are very much here and alive. I am speaking with CCW Wheels and a private company that does custom wheels in bulk.

The information you have provided here is very informational and it address many issues with the current gap that S2K people have and need to fill. With something like this, it takes time. Stay tuned/subscribed for more positive news and results.

Thank you.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

How do you guys feel about Forgeline one-piece wheels?

ForgeLine Wheels
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
How do you guys feel about Forgeline one-piece wheels?

ForgeLine Wheels
My biggest concern with those would be the price.

If the specs are right and the price is right, then sure.

Quick Reply: ENKEI WHEEL "GROUP BUY" FEELER THREAD