S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

ebc greens are lame street pads

Old 11-02-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebc greens are lame street pads

i know that there's no such thing as a track AND street pad, but i wanted something that was a little more aggressive for the street with the hopes that i wouldn't have to change out the pads at local autox's (autoxing isn't that rough on brake pads to begin with, so i didn't think i would need an all out race compound.)

i bought the pads before i read all the bad things that people had to say about them on the boards, but i'll throw in my own 2 cents for the record.

good: bite. these pads have much better initial bite than the OEM pads. stopping distances feel shorter, but i have no hard numbers to prove this. can't comment on how these pads react when you get a lot of heat in them because i have only used them on the street. i have only had the pads on for about 500 miles but i haven't seen any noticeable rotor abuse.

bad: DUST and SQUEALING. the whole reason i bought these instead of going with two separate pads for street/autox is because i expected them to be as civil as the stock pads like advertised. this was NOT true. i bedded the pads like i have done the million other times i've changed them out, but these squeal like crazy. there were no shims included, and the instructions said not to use any. these pads dust like a mofo too. this is not a desirable characteristic for what a company bills as their "street pad." after less than 100 miles of street driving the fronts were filthy. another minor quibble with the pad is the fact that you can see the green color of the pads through the caliper. not really a big deal at all, definitely something i would mind less if the pads didn't piss me off so much.

summary: had i known that these were going to squeal/dust so much, i probably would have just gone with a proven pad that would offer better performance with the same downsides. as it stands now, i'm probably just going to go back to OEM for the time being.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 PM

DON'T take these pads on the track. when they get hot, they tend to crumble and fall apart, leaving you with nothing but backing plates rattling around in your calipers.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SM00TH976,Nov 2 2004, 08:10 PM
i know that there's no such thing as a track AND street pad
Sure there is. Off the top of my head I can think of the Carbotech Panther Plus, Porterfield R4S and Cobalt GT-Sport. I know Hawk and Axxis make street/track pads as well.

I've used the Carbotech P+ in the past and they're a bit noisy on the street and obviously produce more dust than stock, but they're bearable. IMO, they're fine on the track for your first couple of days but they can easily be overworked once you become faster. Good DOT 5.1 fluid also helps tremendously.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:19 AM

DON'T take these pads on the track. when they get hot, they tend to crumble and fall apart, leaving you with nothing but backing plates rattling around in your calipers.

actually, i let my dumbass roomate drive the car and he drove it for a mile or two with the parking brake on. the rears are TOAST, so we'll see how long those hold up before they fall apart. hopefully can't can get some new pads on there before they do. the pad compound was black and you could see that the backing plates were a little singed.

from what i've heard about compromising with brake pads you either get a pad that's good on the track, or bearable on the street, but try to get one that's good at both and you end up with one that is good at neither. i'm sure you guys know more about pads on S2K's though, i just recently bought mine so i am still a little green.