S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoRs
Will the 235 fit on standard AP2-v1 7" and clear everything?
Yes. Like Josh, I've also run a 255 square setup. Having said that, a lot of smart, experienced people say that that setup will be slower than having a skinnier tire on the fronts, because the 255 will have too much sidewall flex.

Aren't CR's 7.5" up front?
No -- same wheel sizes as regular AP2s.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by TwoRs' timestamp='1364054112' post='22423343
Will the 235 fit on standard AP2-v1 7" and clear everything?
Yes. Like Josh, I've also run a 255 square setup. Having said that, a lot of smart, experienced people say that that setup will be slower than having a skinnier tire on the fronts, because the 255 will have too much sidewall flex.

Aren't CR's 7.5" up front?
No -- same wheel sizes as regular AP2s.

I agree Steven, Andy Hollis and that whole group of guys that have the ability to test stuff like this all concluded the smaller tire was faster then with the bigger tire. It makes sense. The issue I have seen/found in an autox setting the car (S2000s) required a big swaybar to keep the rear inside tire on the ground in Stock class form. The 235 can only do so much and the S2000 doesn't favor well to adding aot of front bar without also adding tire to accommodate the change. Next weekend I'll be testing my bone stock CR vs "Our" (My Friend Tims)RTR prepped CR. I'm curious as to how much imporvement the prepped one is over the stock one. Both cars are running the same tires but the stock one has 225s on the front.

Steven we need to run against each other in RTR form, it would be fun!

Since this guy is planning to track it I'd say stay with the stock bars and run a 235 on the front.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Josh it is time for you to do some testing for the rest of us
Old 03-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Haha what would you like me to test? I'm not on a baller budget like Ckit and Hollis.

All I can say is it seems to work on the RTR car. I'm slaying everyone I've raced against in it. Haha
Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM

255/40-17 on 7" wheels, how does it feel compared to non staggered on the same tire? I would guess it would be taller due to the tire being pinched, resulting in lower steering effort?

Any problem mounting the tire?

If the current info is accurate, the Rivals are 2lbs lighter per tire.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 PM

255/40-17 on 7" wheels, how does it feel compared to non staggered on the same tire? I would guess it would be taller due to the tire being pinched, resulting in lower steering effort?

On our set-up we run 2 pounds more pressure in the front than the rear. That seems to be the trend on every site we run on. I believe in setting tire pressures based on "tire rollover", basicly bleed the tire down until the tire rolls over to the tip of the triangle. In a autox setting getting the perfect pressure is difficult to do when the car only sees about 6 mins on course. Way to many variables such as surface, temp, agressiveness of driving style, and car setup. Guessing on the first run then bleeding down from there if needed seems to work really well.

The tire does flex more than mounted on a 9" wheel, this results in having to turn in a hair sooner then before. I'd compare the feeling to having driven a car with and without ball bearing swaybar mounts. When bouncing back and forth between the RTR and STR cars I have to drive them each alittle different and sometimes my first run in either car results in eatting a few cones from having my timing adjusted to the other car.

I didn't mount the tires so I can't comment on that other than Tim saying they asked him "do you really want to mount these tires on these wheels" when he mounted them.

Pictures of the car at 50% prep.... pictures speak a 1000 words...

Sorry to photo whore haha
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

thats with the 235 or 255?????
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Gotta love cold tires!

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Originally Posted by TwoRs' timestamp='1364077857' post='22423860

On our set-up we run 2 pounds more pressure in the front than the rear. That seems to be the trend on every site we run on. I believe in setting tire pressures based on "tire rollover", basicly bleed the tire down until the tire rolls over to the tip of the triangle. In a autox setting getting the perfect pressure is difficult to do when the car only sees about 6 mins on course. Way to many variables such as surface, temp, agressiveness of driving style, and car setup. Guessing on the first run then bleeding down from there if needed seems to work really well.

The tire does flex more than mounted on a 9" wheel, this results in having to turn in a hair sooner then before. I'd compare the feeling to having driven a car with and without ball bearing swaybar mounts. When bouncing back and forth between the RTR and STR cars I have to drive them each alittle different and sometimes my first run in either car results in eatting a few cones from having my timing adjusted to the other car.

I didn't mount the tires so I can't comment on that other than Tim saying they asked him "do you really want to mount these tires on these wheels" when he mounted them.

Pictures of the car at 50% prep.... pictures speak a 1000 words...

Sorry to photo whore haha
Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
thats with the 235 or 255?????
255/40/17 all the way around...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Haha what would you like me to test? I'm not on a baller budget like Ckit and Hollis.

All I can say is it seems to work on the RTR car. I'm slaying everyone I've raced against in it. Haha
Lol, our new tow vehicle just arrived today!

I've autocrossed on 235 front Toyos and 235 (and 255) front Z1 Star Specs on OEM AP2 front wheels.

I'd think anything more than a 235 up front with stock front springs and shocks might chew up fenders (I pulled fender lips even with the Toyos when running less than full stiff). Definitely for tracking, the 235 would be my preference over the 215 (for handling) and the 255 (for safety).

On our setup (B-stock CR), I kind of liked the 255s up front (if the tires have stiff enough sidewalls) for autocrossing, but I think a 235 gives 95% of the performance with less of the drawbacks. The smoother shoulders of the Z1 worked better with the fender tabs (than the Toyos).

I think a car tuned properly could be as fast on 235/255 as 255/255 but we had settings that we could go from 255/255 Z1s to 275/275 Hoosiers without having to change front bar and shock settings too much.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII