S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirbunz
Originally Posted by imstimpy' timestamp='1363703642' post='22413163
[quote name='oinojo' timestamp='1363650645' post='22412134']
The z2 is a difficult tire to tune. Z1 settings will not work. However; I can tell you that once the setting is good the grip is amazing. much better than rs3s
Interesting, I must have had ZII settings on my car while running Z1*s . In all seriousness, what setup change did you need to make? I happened to swap front bars but the rates were marginally different. If anything, the ZII felt easier to drive than the Z1* so I would interpret it as being slightly more forgiving. I do realize a lot of people have disliked the Dunlops with reports of a narrow slip that is difficult for them to get into.
Seems Jonathan has been secretive about these settings while wanting us to know he found the right settings. I too would suggest sharing them so others can confirm or help the R&D process in order to make STR more competitive and saving others time and money. If I were still in STR, I would be happy to share my findings as many of us have done in the past. Find some of the others guys running them and compare notes. Most are more than willing to share.

-Marc
[/quote]

Its nothing special to keep secret. Tuning off my known good Z1 setting Z2 required me to use more rebound and less compression in the shocks. Also decreased front camber from 3.8 to 2.5 with rear camber at 3.0 and 1/4" total toe in. Use the flow chart I posted to make the additional changes needed. And I'll say it again, this is a setting that works for me. The drivers i've let run my car agree that the car works really well but It may not work for anyone else.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oinojo
Originally Posted by sirbunz' timestamp='1363743282' post='22414931
[quote name='imstimpy' timestamp='1363703642' post='22413163']
[quote name='oinojo' timestamp='1363650645' post='22412134']
The z2 is a difficult tire to tune. Z1 settings will not work. However; I can tell you that once the setting is good the grip is amazing. much better than rs3s
Interesting, I must have had ZII settings on my car while running Z1*s . In all seriousness, what setup change did you need to make? I happened to swap front bars but the rates were marginally different. If anything, the ZII felt easier to drive than the Z1* so I would interpret it as being slightly more forgiving. I do realize a lot of people have disliked the Dunlops with reports of a narrow slip that is difficult for them to get into.
Seems Jonathan has been secretive about these settings while wanting us to know he found the right settings. I too would suggest sharing them so others can confirm or help the R&D process in order to make STR more competitive and saving others time and money. If I were still in STR, I would be happy to share my findings as many of us have done in the past. Find some of the others guys running them and compare notes. Most are more than willing to share.

-Marc
[/quote]

Its nothing special to keep secret. Tuning off my known good Z1 setting Z2 required me to use more rebound and less compression in the shocks. Also decreased front camber from 3.8 to 2.5 with rear camber at 3.0 and 1/4" total toe in. Use the flow chart I posted to make the additional changes needed. And I'll say it again, this is a setting that works for me. The drivers i've let run my car agree that the car works really well but It may not work for anyone else.
[/quote]
Very cool, some of that actually makes sense to my setup last year in hindsight. I will check over my old notes... pretty sure I ran similar settings to those you posted for the ZIIs on the Star Specs last year. I hope this new batch of tires really speeds the class up. Glad you shared!

-Marc
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the info, but respect the time and effort it takes to ask the right questions necessary to get results. M
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mLeach
I appreciate the info, but respect the time and effort it takes to ask the right questions necessary to get results. M
Not sure if I rubbed you the wrong way but I could of swore that I've posted a lot of info to get people going in the right direction. I will post this flow chart again as a way for people to guide themselves in the right direction. I have done a lot of studying and experimenting with adjustments to know exactly what I need to do to make a change to the car that would benefit me. This is simple experimenting and learning of my adjustments. Many have spoken to me privately in helping them with setup advise and I have helped them greatly. I have posted enough advise (look at the flow chart!) to aid people in the direction they need to go to learn how to make their own changes.

***disregard caster adjustment changes***
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 PM

I can confirm that lower compression settings versus RS3 are needed for the particular surface I am running. Do I fully understand why, no. But my feeling is that I'll let it roll with compression -2 from last event and move to 36 cold psi and let it warm up to 38psi front. Take some temps across the tire after every run and go from there. Keep the pump on hand.. . I went into last Sunday figuring I could turn the compression up, wrong.

Trying to decide if I'm running again this weekend on a different surface. Going to SD for my first ever national tour but with a FRS in C-stock RTR at the end of the month. Running Z1s blah.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Think of compression as the loading effect on a tire. If its too high (for a given condition) then the tire will "shock" and be skiddish (front end hard to brake, rear end difficult to apply throttle and transition)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM

The test I just saw on FB said on a RTR FRS the rivals are .48 seconds faster and more consistant then the z2 tires.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh7owens
The test I just saw on FB said on a RTR FRS the rivals are .48 seconds faster and more consistant then the z2 tires.
I read that too. One thing that these tests don't do (or I'm not aware that they are doing it)... optimize the car settings for each tire and environmental and surface conditions. As Jonathan has pointed out in this thread, having this right can make a difference. That being said, I did order the Rivals and waiting for them to show up. Yeah, I'm a lemming/sheeple.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 AM

Think of compression as the loading effect on a tire. If its too high (for a given condition) then the tire will "shock" and be skiddish (front end hard to brake, rear end difficult to apply throttle and transition)
Thanks. I do understand that More compression loads the tire sooner/faster. I'm mainly unsure about the pyhsics reasoning b/t tires requiring different compression settings.
I need to play with more settings at the track and get quicker at making changes. Doesn't help that I have lift my car up to adjust compression though
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mLeach' timestamp='1363751386' post='22415148
Not sure if I rubbed you the wrong way but I could of swore that I've posted a lot of info to get people going in the right direction. I will post this flow chart again as a way for people to guide themselves in the right direction. I have done a lot of studying and experimenting with adjustments to know exactly what I need to do to make a change to the car that would benefit me. This is simple experimenting and learning of my adjustments. Many have spoken to me privately in helping them with setup advise and I have helped them greatly. I have posted enough advise (look at the flow chart!) to aid people in the direction they need to go to learn how to make their own changes.

***disregard caster adjustment changes***
Not at all! I was posting that because whether you wanted to post it or not is your deal. I'm totally thankful, and thought that my post indicated that. What I was trying to say is that if you don't feel like sharing, you shouldn't have to because it's your work, your time, and you should benefit from it.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII