S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
People flip asymmetric tires all the time at the track to squeeze every ounce of life from them . Its not "optimal" but it seems to work just fine... especially if its just a non competitive HPDE or a practice.
It appears you are correct. I guess it has been stated by BFG that they can be flipped, just not ideal for wet weather.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by limbo
Oh really?

So can any of you guys comment on the width vs the rs3s?
in 255/40/17, Maybe a smidge more narrow but I was comparing un-mounted RS3 versus mounted ZII. They look a little less pinched on a 9" rim as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by oinojo
The z2 is a difficult tire to tune. Z1 settings will not work. However; I can tell you that once the setting is good the grip is amazing. much better than rs3s
What pressures have you liked? I think I need to give them some more tire pressure than I had.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

38 around. Similar to my z1.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have a feel for how much heat these things need in cooler weather? That was one of the things I liked about the Z1, would get up to temp after the first two corners and be good to go. Any sense on how they'd be on early morning run groups without a co-driver at 50 degrees?

Toyos were great from the start line, RS3s were mandatory blankets and co-drivers....
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 AM

I can't really say yet. It wasn't that cold on my first run last Sunday. AZ ya know.. . I had a pretty crappy first run and it was only around 0.6 seconds slower than my fastest comp run. About 0.8 slower than my fastest at Time only fun runs.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oinojo
The z2 is a difficult tire to tune. Z1 settings will not work. However; I can tell you that once the setting is good the grip is amazing. much better than rs3s
Interesting, I must have had ZII settings on my car while running Z1*s . In all seriousness, what setup change did you need to make? I happened to swap front bars but the rates were marginally different. If anything, the ZII felt easier to drive than the Z1* so I would interpret it as being slightly more forgiving. I do realize a lot of people have disliked the Dunlops with reports of a narrow slip that is difficult for them to get into.

Originally Posted by CKit
Does anyone have a feel for how much heat these things need in cooler weather? That was one of the things I liked about the Z1, would get up to temp after the first two corners and be good to go. Any sense on how they'd be on early morning run groups without a co-driver at 50 degrees?

Toyos were great from the start line, RS3s were mandatory blankets and co-drivers....
They appear to have a throwaway run no different from the Z1*. I've driven them in ~55*F.

This weekend will be my first event on them on a super grippy surface (College Station) but I'm not sure excited about the forecast...
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Originally Posted by oinojo' timestamp='1363650645' post='22412134
Interesting, I must have had ZII settings on my car while running Z1*s . In all seriousness, what setup change did you need to make? I happened to swap front bars but the rates were marginally different. If anything, the ZII felt easier to drive than the Z1* so I would interpret it as being slightly more forgiving. I do realize a lot of people have disliked the Dunlops with reports of a narrow slip that is difficult for them to get into.

Originally Posted by CKit

They appear to have a throwaway run no different from the Z1*. I've driven them in ~55*F.

This weekend will be my first event on them on a super grippy surface (College Station) but I'm not sure excited about the forecast...
Its only a 30% chance of rain. It sprinkled there over last weekend too. it was fin.e
Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Originally Posted by oinojo' timestamp='1363650645' post='22412134
Seems Jonathan has been secretive about these settings while wanting us to know he found the right settings. I too would suggest sharing them so others can confirm or help the R&D process in order to make STR more competitive and saving others time and money. If I were still in STR, I would be happy to share my findings as many of us have done in the past. Find some of the others guys running them and compare notes. Most are more than willing to share.

-Marc
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is Jonathan in STR anymore? I thought he was in STX now?

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII