S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We're going to shake down a set on track before autocrossing them.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if these run wider than RS-3's?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 AM

One of my main concerns is it appears you can still flip the ZII's like you could the Z1's and the BFG does not look like you can flip it for maximum tire life. For that reason, I will likely go with ZII.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG and the RE-11a aren't in tirerack so I orderred a set of the new direzzas will take them to the local track in a few weeks
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndrewMcG
One of my main concerns is it appears you can still flip the ZII's like you could the Z1's and the BFG does not look like you can flip it for maximum tire life. For that reason, I will likely go with ZII.

People flip asymmetric tires all the time at the track to squeeze every ounce of life from them . Its not "optimal" but it seems to work just fine... especially if its just a non competitive HPDE or a practice.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM

AUTOCROSS related only

2nd Autocross. 4 runs on the first, about 600 miles of street driving. skuff'd in I'd say. had 10 runs yesterday.

I really wasn't impressed with the available grip yesterday running the ZIIs. I liked the slaloms and audible Feedback from the tire but other than that, I'm not super impressed with the ZIIs so far. I don't think they are better than the RS3s for overal grip in steady state or tight, hard cornering. With the RS3, I don't think the amount of grip would have fallen off as fast and started pushing as much with the RS3s. I think I was however able to keep the tail in check a little better with them when the rear did get a little happy. I do think they have an advantage for slaloms over the RS3 and maybe a slightly better corner exit driveability when you don't break their grip. I guess I'm confirming that they are bit peaky in grip like others have said in reviews but my cars ballance allowed the post grip loss to be very managable and as good or better than the RS3.

Was able to run down to 33psi front and 32 rear. -2.9/-2.7 camber. Last event was all left handers so I sprayed the right hand side tires when they got hot to the touch. Left side didn't need sprayed. Battery was dead in my Laser temp gauge but I think I have enough camber for these tires.

B/t my RS3s and ZIIs, No change in swaybar settings.
Started the day with more compression on shocks (+3/+2r) b/c I felt at the last event that there was good grip and I could probably stiffen things up a bit. Car wash pushing all day so I took the front down 2 for comp runs and it was okay. Then down 1 more click TOs and car was still a little pushy but I guess available grip was ballanced front and rear. I guess I could have been overdriving though. Maybe my car just sucks at left Handers and I need corner ballanced. Car was not better with a passenger.

With said reviews of the Rival, I think I want to switch. I don't think my pocket book does though.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have autocrossed and tracked both the Z1* and the ZII within the last six months.

On an STU STI, both Z1*s and ZIIs were 245s on 17x9 wheels set to 36psi.
On an STR S2000, both Z1*s and ZIIs were 255s on 17x9 wheels set to 35psi.

Let me preface this by saying I have never really liked the RS3 except for its heat tolerance (which it loses as it wears). I won't dispute the RS3 is fast, but I prefer the precision of the Dunlops over sloppy RS3 that likes slip. In all my personal tests I have matched times on the same course on the same day when swapping tires. Heavy lateral grip courses favor the RS3 while transitions favor the Dunlops. Verified on both cars, in fact.

My impressions so far are from a seasoned set of Z1* to a new set of ZII. The ZII is equally responsive. The lateral grip appears to be just as good while the longitudinal grip feels better. The drive out of the corner, even before they were scrubbed, surprised myself and my co-driver on the S2000; I'd say it is definitely better here. When pushed beyond their limits, they will progressively let go, affording a lot of confidence with tidy driving. Braking seems similar and I have no wet experience yet. Heat tolerance appears acceptable but I have no definitive numbers yet. The S2000 was hotlapped at H2R in Austin without issue.

In the STI on a fresh set of ZIIs were trailed a bit behind the Z1 times set in the morning (.1-3s off pace). This surface isn't ideal for scrubbing however.

The S2000 has not had a back to back Z1* to ZII comparison, however. Unscrubbed, they had a surprising amount of longitudinal grip.

Sorry I don't have more instrumented tests than this. My conclusions are that the ZII is a spiritual successor to the Z1* but not dramatically different in personality.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The z2 is a difficult tire to tune. Z1 settings will not work. However; I can tell you that once the setting is good the grip is amazing. much better than rs3s
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Oh really?

So can any of you guys comment on the width vs the rs3s?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by oinojo
The z2 is a difficult tire to tune. Z1 settings will not work. However; I can tell you that once the setting is good the grip is amazing. much better than rs3s
Clearly a newb question here...can you explain a little? I have always been on StarSpecs, so I don't have a lot of perspective. Obviously you do ....what did you alter between the two tire setups? I'm at -2.9 front camber,-2.5 rear. Zero front toe, and 1/8" rear toe in

Do you think the R1R is a no-go based in your experience with the ZII? Rival?

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII