S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the treadwear rating on the Z11? It wasnt listed in the rack catalog
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM

200tw
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by assalbert
I wonder how these will stack up against the new advan neova ad08r hmmmmm
Someone needs to try ZII on front left, RE-11A on front right, AD08R on rear left, and RS4 on rear right, when all those tires are available and see if they can notice anything odd happening
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And then do it in the wet...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Hi, I live in EL Salvador, our track is called autodromo El Jabali. its not a flat circuit, I has their hills, so the track is really fun to drive, similar terrain as Laguna Seca. temperature is around 85-95F.

Ive tried a couple of tires. we have to race with extreme performance tires, NOT SSLICKS.

the best tires that Ive have come along are the: Bridgestone RE-11, the Dunlop Direzza Z1 and Z2. regardless of the price, both are really similar on handling.I do noticed that the dunlop last longer on the track conditions than the bridgestone.

thats what I can say on the tires.

hope it helps
Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

I've run them at Streets of Willow Springs CCW. My previous best was a 1:32.xxx (don't laugh, I know it's slow...) on a stock s2000 (wheels and everything).

I recently installed these Z2s on 17x9 rims and am running 255 square with a GTC200 - everything else is still OEM (shocks and springs). Lap times dropped to 1:29.1xx.

Yes, some of it is from the mods for sure, but overall the tires provide a good amount of responsiveness and grip. It's like a combination of the RS-3 (which is super grippy but has crap for feedback both for responsiveness and audible due to the soft sidewalls) and the RE-11 (which is really responsive and provides more feedback, both feeling and audible).

It's definitely a grippier tire than the RE-11. I can't say for sure how it stacks up to RS3s in terms of overall grip since the only set of RS3s that i've run had 4 track days on them.

Slides are predictable and easier to catch versus RS3s and considering that it was my first track day running 255 square, I only spun out once in 5 25 minute sessions (kept it on the track too).

I'd be curious to try out RE-11a and BFG Rivals next, in that order. That won't happen for about a year or so...

previous tire history (on stock OEM AP2 wheels):
RE-050
RE-11
RS3
V12 (completely out classed, i know. and on 17x9s for street tires. used for goofing around at open auto-x days ~40 sessions each time)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1363056235' post='22397416
When it comes to performance I think tires are the same as brake pads, one person will say one tire has more grip, and the next person will completely disagree. You really just have to give them a go for yourself most of the time.
I think rather than absolute grip (which can be objectively tested), it may be more like brake preference / feel / modulation. Because a brake pad can give great grip (like a tire), but be hard to modulate leading to a slower time on track.

There's some talk that the slip angle and forgiveness of the Rival might make it an "easy to drive" tire and faster in most humans hands.
I agree. Control feel tops outright grip for me. The best to worst control feel (not outright grip) for the tires I've had on my S2k are: AD-08, RE-11, RE-01, RE-050, Z-1, Azenis 615. That said, I have the Z-1's now and really like the balance of cost vs. performance. Looking forward to trying the ZII's next.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1363058396' post='22397483
I think rather than absolute grip (which can be objectively tested), it may be more like brake preference / feel / modulation. Because a brake pad can give great grip (like a tire), but be hard to modulate leading to a slower time on track.

There's some talk that the slip angle and forgiveness of the Rival might make it an "easy to drive" tire and faster in most humans hands.
Exactly right. Yes definitely hearing good things about the BFG Rival as well, another great option with a similar price to the ZII and RE-11a.

" BFGoodrich g-Force Rival: The Plot Thickens! (UPDATED)

So apparently, BFGoodrich just held a hush-hush launch at NOLA for its new g-Force Rival tire. Andy Hollis - Twelve-time SCCA Solo national champion, and instructor for the Evolution Performance Driving School, posted this on his Hollis Racing Facebook account:

Here today for the launch of the new BFGoodrich g-Force Rival. Got 10 laps back to back between this and the new Dunlop on an MX5 Cup car. Full second faster on the Rival, which was much easier to drive at the limit. Very forgiving. Z2 was much more peaky with a narrow window at the limit. Rival also loves to make noise."

http://www.onehotlap.com/2013/01/bfg...-thickens.html

hmmm....
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM

I can confirm the Z2's have a very stiff sidewall. I bought a set of the new Dunlop's with a new set of wheels for our MINI JCW.

MINI's come with run-flat tires as OEM and a popular "upgrade" is to switch to non run-flats for better ride comfort. I agree that the run-flat tires can be quite harsh over transitional type bumps and irregularities. I swapped to the new set of wheels and Z2's same size as OEM only difference was 215 vs 205. Besides hugely improving the steering feel and fun factor, there was no difference in ride comfort compared to the OEM tires.

I don't have any other street tires to compare to in that car but I did one autocross so far on these tires and loved them. Grip was higher than I expected and I felt they were predictable and easy to drive but again, this was in a FWD MINI.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM

One must read into early reviews with a grain of salt.

The ZII will most likely require a good amount of run-in just like the Z1 Star Spec before showing optimal results. Not just one event either- usually two to three events before they start really working.

It is a GREAT year to be a Street Touring competitor... a CRAPPY year to be a Street Touring competitor's wallet.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII