S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ebdavis
Thebob I'm betting its differences in setup like spring rates, bars and alignments plus differences in surface types and driver preferences. Also most of these guys are autocrossers so there's that speed difference to think of.
not to derail this thread - but how tire pressure should be adjusted when we go say for a stiffer springs?
on the track on hot days i usually set lower initial tire pressure then usual - otherwise i see that first laps are faster than the rest....
Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Croc
Originally Posted by ebdavis' timestamp='1380331546' post='22800544
Thebob I'm betting its differences in setup like spring rates, bars and alignments plus differences in surface types and driver preferences. Also most of these guys are autocrossers so there's that speed difference to think of.
not to derail this thread - but how tire pressure should be adjusted when we go say for a stiffer springs?
on the track on hot days i usually set lower initial tire pressure then usual - otherwise i see that first laps are faster than the rest....
That is just how the tire is. The faster laps are always earlier for me and I start at around 28psi cold and bleed to reach 37 psi (hot) when I get off. On a cold day the times will stay consistent but on a hot day if you overdrive or push beyond the limits of grip often these tires will hate you. They are very peaky but once you get the hang of them they are very fast.

They were pretty ridiculous on the first day though, and drop off in grip is not too bad from what I've noticed. I think we'll have much better reviews once the summer heat dies down and the cool kicks in.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Just to clarify the term "peaky"- are we talking about peaky temperature and/or pressure window? As in they are very sensitive and have a small "optimal" setting that they need to be in to turn the fastest laps? Or peaky driving characteristics? As in they need to be driven cleaner with minimal slip angle or else grip level falls off a cliff?

Has anyone on here driven on the RE-11As? Would you consider those a peaky tire (slip angle wise)? Perhaps it was my alignment at the time (first time running 0 toe all around) but I had my first two spins EVER my first day running those tires. It felt more like the tires though... I wrote in my notes that the tires felt good up to a certain (small) slip angle then dropped off dramatically. Peak grip is noticeably higher than the RE-11 but I felt the heat tolerance was a little lower. Was using 255 on a 17x9 all around with -3.2 and found that 36-38psi hot felt the best. *Note* My prospective is from driving the tires exclusively on larger road courses.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any new consensus on how the ZII handles heat on track days?
What temps are too hot?

I'm finding that on my E36M3, RE11As do not like to get hot. must spray to keep temps down for long autoX runs.

new RS3 version 2 with a slight compound change is making it's way to Tirerack.com shelves in April. Decisions decisions.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435
Any new consensus on how the ZII handles heat on track days?
What temps are too hot?

I'm finding that on my E36M3, RE11As do not like to get hot. must spray to keep temps down for long autoX runs.

new RS3 version 2 with a slight compound change is making it's way to Tirerack.com shelves in April. Decisions decisions.
I found the RE-11A to take heat about the same as the ZII. ZII thrives in cooler weather and doesn't do well when ambient temps get above 80ish unless they are really worn (< 2/32nds or so). I imagine a brand new, full tread ZII would be terrible for hot summer track days since I could overheat mine in less than 3 laps at Laguna Seca when it was 60*F ambient.

Does anyone know what the "version 2" R-S3 compound change is supposed to be for? I find it a little strange that they would advertise a compound change since the new R-S4 should be out this summer sometime. Unless they're making the tire slower so they can compare against the new R-S4 when its ready and advertise a larger improvement
Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i dont think there is an rs4.
v2 rs-3 is made to comply with the 200tw rating so I bet its around for a 2yrs at least
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

What camber settings are most if you guys using with the Z2s for track?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ZII's for a single driver in autocross on 80+ degree days were fine. i didnt have to spray as much.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm not sure how well the Z2's handle heat, but they held up well in the fall, but ambient temps were only mid 50's. They were a fresh set and felt very sticky. I don't recall them every feeling greasy/slick. I'm sure in the summer heat of 80+ they'll get a little greasy after a few laps, but in cooler weather they felt really good.

Camber wise I think I'm running close to max w/o RCAs. Something like -2 front and -2.5 rear. Car felt great.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

multiple 75-85deg days for me now - I felt that RE11As do not like 125-135 temps for autoX (laser temps, prob might reveal hotter inside). Must spray them when they get this hot for best runs. R3s didn't care at that range

Z11s might take more heat than RE11As but hard to say b/c I ran the Z11s on my S and RE11As on my M3

RE11As are easy to control in my M3. I haven't felt them get snappy and stay pretty progressive in nature when hot. I'm about 1/2 way through the tread now. They don't like to be over-inflated by much. 245/40/17s like around 35-38 IMO(note 3,200lb car). I've been told that you couldn't run that low of PSI on the previous RE11.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII