S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by godwinmt
Originally Posted by jeffjanzen' timestamp='1372355072' post='22634376
I ran my new 225/50-16 ZIIs this weekend too (RTR AP1). No break-in, very peaky and difficult to find the optimum slip angle (though I must admit that's partly what attracted me to these tires - it sounded like a fun challenge!). I'm looking forward to getting more runs on them and seeing how the performance changes.

I also had a chance to try them in pouring rain and standing water (very similar to 2013 Spring Nats morning conditions), and HOLY CRAP THESE TIRES KICK ASS IN THE RAIN! The limits were so much higher than I expected, and the rain breakaway wasn't nearly as peaky as I've experienced with other sticky summer tires. I'm pretty happy with my tire choice so far.
Jeff -

Not sure if it's too much to ask, but could you shed some light on choosing the 225/50 over the 225/45? Are you worried about over-tiring on the fronts with the shorter sidewall? Part of the attraction to the ZII's over the Rivals in the 225 is the fact that Dunlop offers the 45 AR sidewall, not for the increase in stiffness as much as it is for the gearing effect on the smaller low power cars. I'm planning to switch over to RTR for the remainder of the year once the R1S's wear out in my AP1, and have been struggling with choosing between the Rivals and the ZII's...

Thanks,
Malhon
Sorry Malhon, I hadn't looked at this thread since I posted in it.

My choice to buy the 225/50 wasn't really a choice at all - I just never considered going to a shorter tire. Had I given it some thought, I probably would have gone with the /45 for the gearing advantage.

I have since driven on Rivals and I must admit they are an awesome feeling tire. Very easy to drive at the limit.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Thanks to all who posted in this thread as I just switched on a set of 255/40-17 Dunlops after having a set of Rivals. Spent the first day of a two day weekend seriously chasing my tail adjusting many times the setup with some success. Less compression, more rebound, disconnect rear sway bar, etc. Yesterday, with more compression/rebound/pressure adjustments, the car seemed to really respond with tires giving more grip. My thoughts are the D2's just don't have the max lateral grip the Rivals or possibly RS3's (presuming it's hot, you have a co-drive and more than 3 runs) but are certainly more crisp on turn in response and great to that peak but done when you step just past the threshold. The D2's needed more spraying/heat management even though temps where in low 70's as I had a co-driver with 7 minutes between runs. The tires had one practice session in wet conditions, and a little street miles but seemed to be get better after more 10 runs. Eventually, pyrometer and feel had us at 35F/32R pressures but I could see +-1-2 working as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM

I can add that my initial impressions were with 35 psi hot. (255s on 17x9 wheels) We've now dropped to 32 psi and the breakaway characteristics are much nicer with a broad usable slip angle window.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious as to why you guys run such high tyre pressures. I have just switched to the z2's and am waiting for a track day to come up so I can test these. Prior to these I was using the federal rsr (30psi hot) and recently the rs3 (28psi hot).
Old 09-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thebob I'm betting its differences in setup like spring rates, bars and alignments plus differences in surface types and driver preferences. Also most of these guys are autocrossers so there's that speed difference to think of.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 PM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do big track. I went from Rivals to Z2s and its night and day. The Rivals are the worst tire Ive used by far (Z1 SS and RS3). I like the Z2s a lot but will have to compare to the RS3s directly to see what my preference is. I only have one track day on the Z2s so far.

PS: Rivals suck.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JJ7
I do big track. I went from Rivals to Z2s and its night and day. The Rivals are the worst tire Ive used by far (Z1 SS and RS3). I like the Z2s a lot but will have to compare to the RS3s directly to see what my preference is. I only have one track day on the Z2s so far.

PS: Rivals suck.
Was it anything subjective that you didn't like about them or were they just off the pace compared to the ZII? I bought both and will be doing a same day back to back test for myself but Im just curious what it was about the rivals that you didn't like.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 AM
JJ7

Just WAY off pace. And i didnt take any measurements, but you should measure the tread on both tires when you get them. I think the Rivals look skinny. You can brake harder, earlier with Rivals. Thats my only positive feedback. I should mention every time I used the Rivals it was hot (90-110F). My one day on Z2s it was 85-100ish.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Z2 blow ass on hot days. RS3 is definitely the actual "summer" tire to go with. In the cold though they are still great. Wear is good. I don't have any complaints other than that though (track use only, no autox)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i'll be buying rs3's again for sure ...mainly because i loved the grip compared to the z1. they won my heart , being cheaper is a bonus

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII