S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Direzza ZII

Anyone have track experience with these tires? How do they compare in grip compared to rs3's?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Interested to hear the answer - would also like to know how they compare to AD08s. I remember speaking to a TR rep and they said a comparison video of all three and more will be coming out some time in the future.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Interested to hear the answer - would also like to know how they compare to AD08s. I remember speaking to a TR rep and they said a comparison video of all three and more will be coming out some time in the future.
RS3, re-11, z1 star specs are all faster than the AD08 from the testing Ive seen (not tire racks test which does not have the tires up to their optimum operating temperature). So assuming the new generations of all these tires are faster than the old generations then I would guess they are much much faster than the AD08.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

RE-11a just became available on Tirerack for people in the U.S.! They dropped the price significantly compared to the RE-11. Close to the ZII price.

When it comes to performance I think tires are the same as brake pads, one person will say one tire has more grip, and the next person will completely disagree. You really just have to give them a go for yourself most of the time to see how they match your driving style and give you good feedback.

Hard to go wrong with any of the tires listed here though.

Having driven briefly on the ZIIs in an S2000 with full CR setup they definitely compare favorably to the RE-11 on my own car. I will be trying the RE-11a or the ZII next for sure. Hopefully Yokohama will have a AD09 with price to compete with the RE-11a and ZII.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
When it comes to performance I think tires are the same as brake pads, one person will say one tire has more grip, and the next person will completely disagree. You really just have to give them a go for yourself most of the time.
I think rather than absolute grip (which can be objectively tested), it may be more like brake preference / feel / modulation. Because a brake pad can give great grip (like a tire), but be hard to modulate leading to a slower time on track.

There's some talk that the slip angle and forgiveness of the Rival might make it an "easy to drive" tire and faster in most humans hands.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
I think rather than absolute grip (which can be objectively tested), it may be more like brake preference / feel / modulation. Because a brake pad can give great grip (like a tire), but be hard to modulate leading to a slower time on track.

There's some talk that the slip angle and forgiveness of the Rival might make it an "easy to drive" tire and faster in most humans hands.
Exactly right. Yes definitely hearing good things about the BFG Rival as well, another great option with a similar price to the ZII and RE-11a.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM

I wonder how these will stack up against the new advan neova ad08r hmmmmm
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Z2 is pretty sticky, but hard to say, since I drove em on a BRZ. They do change how they feel with tire pressure.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM

thanks for the feedback guys. I'm assuming the zII's will probably last longer than rs-3's also. I've been DD'in my rs-3 and managed to get 20,000 miles out of them (with roatation).
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlee1234
thanks for the feedback guys. I'm assuming the zII's will probably last longer than rs-3's also. I've been DD'in my rs-3 and managed to get 20,000 miles out of them (with roatation).
Z1 star specs last longer than R-S3. Dunlop is trying to claim a lower wear rate on the ZII compared to the Z1 star spec.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza ZII