S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: Is your track toy registered and insured?
Yes, both
59.26%
No, and no plans on it either
33.33%
No registration, Only insured
3.70%
Yes, but plan on dropping one or both in the future
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Dropping insurance and registration

Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Dropping insurance and registration

Really a question geared toward those weekend racers that didnt have enough money for parts, but wondering how many of yall's track toys are no longer street legal due to no insurance or tag. Was thinking about doing this next year when I can afford a truck and trailer, but don't know if there are any unforeseen repercussions. My only though is, if the roof of the garage caves in, I don't know that my home insurance would cover the track car.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't keep insurance or registration on my SpecE30 racecar. You have to have insurance to get it registered, and I think the bare bare minimum to have the car on my main auto insurance policy was $25 a month and then registration was around $50 a year, so I decided the $350 a year could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Option #2 does not make sense.

Is your track toy registered and insured?

No, and no plans on dropping either (how are you supposed to drop your already unregistered/uninsured vehicle)?

Anyway, back to what I think you meant. My track toy is an HPDE toy, and thus doubles as a street vehicle.
This is how I see it:

-HPDE track toy = keep it registered and insured
-W2W fully caged spec vehicle = tow only and drop both

King Tut's situation is my ideal situation. Keep my S2k a streetable HPDE/TT toy.

Get an E30 Spec for w2w. I'm gonna have to drive up to Sonoma or MRLS and see if I can rent an E30 Spec racecar for a test drive.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is a TT car. I keep it registered so I can drive it to get alignments and to make sure everything is good before an event.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by WynnS123
My car is a TT car. I keep it registered so I can drive it to get alignments and to make sure everything is good before an event.
I drive my SpecE30 a couple miles to the local Ethanol free 91 octane gas station and bring a couple fuel jugs with me, but any further, and I trailer it. I figure if a cop pulls me over in that couple miles hopefully he will let me go when I explain the situation.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
King Tut's situation is my ideal situation. Keep my S2k a streetable HPDE/TT toy.
Thanks. There are definitely some rental options for SpecE30s in nearly every region. Like Wynn, my S2000 is being built as a TT car, and so I will keep it street legal and always registered/fully insured.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

FWIW if you dont street drive your track car its still worth having it insured. There are Pit/Paddock policies that cover loss/damage to your racecar when NOT on the track. These toys arent cheap. Especially worthwhile if stored frequently at a shop.

http://locktonmotorsports.com/produc...rack-insurance

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Motorsports-Insurance
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 AM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

I considered doing this, but like Bullwings said my car is an HPDE/TT* type car that I still drive to the dragon and back in at least once a year. No sense in removing the tag and insurance over 350 bucks. Besides, even though I also have a truck, having a back-up vehicle in case of emergencies is really nice to have.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you spoken to your insurance in regards to suspending insurance when not needed? my evo is my main track car and travels via truck and trailer. I live in a state where i can suspend the insurance when the car is "parked" and turn it on 24 hours before i need to drive it which saves a good chunk of money. I turn off the insurance on my s when it goes in the garage for the winter too. luckily in my state, turning off insurance doesnt require you to turn in the plates. realistically tho, i did it in a state that did require you to turn in the plates if you stopped insurance, but just didnt do it and never had an issue...doesnt seem DMV follow up on that stuff.

definitely an option worth exploring.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is super random but i actually dotn drive my car like 8 months out of the year and i store it at my house.

Most home owners insurance will covered a non-registered car if something were to fall on it or smash it. its still considered your property and is covered. I have state farm on the west coast, and i just called my agent and specifically asked about this kind of situation and they got all the details and explained it to me. took about a days worth of research on their part. but thats what i pay them for.

Quick Reply: Dropping insurance and registration