S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Downshifting in an S2k...

Old 09-14-2005, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apex2k,Sep 13 2005, 11:40 AM
Unless I can get a good 2 seconds of WOT in the lower gear before having to upshift, I just leave it in the higher gear. Sometimes this means adjusting my line and carving a wider arc thru the corner to carry more speed. The car just does not have the grunt down low that you can bring the car to a near stop on a tight apex and rocket out of the corner. It seems there is always a best line thru a corner but this may not always be the best line for this car.
There is still only one best line for the car. You can try to keep speed up with a wider line but that costs you distance. Does the extra speed more than compensate for the extra distance? In many/most cases, the answer is no or, at least, not really.

Yes, going too slow in a gear is detrimental to acceleration. However, as Pat Salerno (a National champion and Evolution School instructor) says, the "lack of torque" argument about the S2K is a myth. We may not have the torque number of, say, a C4 'Vette but we have 1) lighter weight and 2) better gearing. That doesn't mean we're going to pull on a C4 but it means that we can keep up and hopefully corner faster.

I will certainly use 1st in a pin turn or other slow speed turn but I've also been beaten by drivers who have left it in 2nd. Acceleration is only one aspect of going fast - car position is generally more important...
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until a driver is at the level of the guys who'll be placing really high this week in Kansas, I think a lot of newer drivers are best served really learning the line and how to drive it.

Carve a perfect line through a soloII turn and it's amazing how the need for the downshift disappears. On the local level, unless your competition (in the S2000) is a higher echelon national driver, you can typically win staying in 2nd. Braking and going into 1st frequently leads to the driver slowing the car too much and giving up the advantage gained at exit (which is then needed more because you bled too much speed). Also, you've made the braking zone more complex so you may focus too much on it and not run the perfect line.

The top guys shift alot (just check out the video from last years nats), but they have the line and amount of braking down so well, they aren't hurting themselves.

Pat (and none of the other instructors I've encountered) doesn
Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 13 2005, 12:54 PM
No, the rev limiter does not work this way. You will be mechanically over-revving your engine, not "banging the rev limiter". Do not use the engine to brake the car in this way! It will upset the balance of the car and possibly severely damage your engine.
Mike is correct, I should have been more clear. PilotSi, a downshift in your 02 from above 6,000 rpms in second will cause an over-rev in first. My understanding is based on The Reverend's gear calculator.
http://reverendsgarage.net/index.php?conte..._calculator.php

gear....mph@6000rpm.....mph@9,200 limiter

A 6k downshift from 2nd at 44 mph will land you at fuel cutoff of 9,200 rpms at 44 mph in first (a useless and potentially damaging point to downshift at). The overlap increases with every gear, as does the safety margin. For example, 4th to 3rd at 78mph is well below the 93mph cutoff in 3rd. In my mind it all revolves around the 6,000 rpms mark simply because that is where the power starts. Drop below it and it may be time to consider downshifting depending on the circumstances. I would hope someone will correct me if I am missing something.

[QUOTE=jguerdat,Sep 14 2005, 07:02 AM]There is still only one best line for the car.