S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Downshifting in an S2k...

Old 09-12-2005, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting in an S2k...

I was at an autocross this weekend for the first time in my S2k -- and I had to downshift to first on a hairpin turn -- I remember revving it to redline and slipping it into 1st and right at that point, and I thought I saw the redline blink at me for a brief moment. Of course I was still under braking so if I had over-revved it, it was just for the briefest of moments.

Do any of you guys do this often? I've been reading Over-Rev stories and in hindsight, I'd rather have pulled out in 2nd rather then d/s to 1st gear if it means breaking a motor. But 2nd would've taken forever to pull out of the hole with...

BTW, first impressions on the S2k -- it needs more tq But this car is dangerous! It's so on edge -- nothing like my old Prelude. What an amazing car. This is going to become very addictive! There is so much more grip -- but when the grip leaves, it's all over! It's going to be great learning how to drive fast in this car
Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by PilotSi,Sep 12 2005, 09:24 AM
I was at an autocross this weekend for the first time in my S2k -- and I had to downshift to first on a hairpin turn -- I remember revving it to redline and slipping it into 1st and right at that point, and I thought I saw the redline blink at me for a brief moment. Of course I was still under braking so if I had over-revved it, it was just for the briefest of moments.
That was just the rev limiter and is 100x safer than an overrev. An overrev only occurs when you let the clutch out in a lower gear at a speed that would require the motor to be above redline. The driveline will accelerate the motor to compensate for the wheel speed and if you don't get the clutch back in fast enough, it will cause significant damage to valves and rods.

It is very very unlikely that you would overrev going from 2->1 while braking unless you rush the shift an inordinant amount. Are you braking then downshifting or trying to heel-toe?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:41 AM

I'm doing a H2T from 2nd->1st.

I know I had blipped the gas to 9000RPMs but then when I let the clutch out, that's when I saw it blink at me. I'm pretty sure it was the rev-limiter -- just I may have placed it into gear alittle bit beyond the rev-limiter's limit of 9000RPMs. But it was on a d/s and underbraking so I think it'll be okay. Maybe I'm just being @nal because I'm not used to the car yet, and I'm already trying to pull off late-braking - 1st gear D/S in a car I'm barely used to.

Another question: do you guys let the ABS work for you, or do you brake gradually enough that ABS never kicks in. I'm finding myself not used to ABS (I come from an 88 Prelude, No ABS!) and braking too early in the S2k -- good for "slow in, fast out." not bad, but I remember in a few areas, I was coasting for a hair of a second b/c of braking too early.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PilotSi,Sep 12 2005, 10:41 AM
Another question: do you guys let the ABS work for you, or do you brake gradually enough that ABS never kicks in. I'm finding myself not used to ABS (I come from an 88 Prelude, No ABS!) and braking too early in the S2k -- good for "slow in, fast out." not bad, but I remember in a few areas, I was coasting for a hair of a second b/c of braking too early.
I engage ABS from time to time but I don't just stab the brakes and have it activated that way. Typically for me I will be threshold braking very close to the limit and as the car experiences an undulation in the pavement or some type of surface that is less grippy ABS will come alive.

Tightening up your braking points is a challenge, good luck!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:00 AM

I agree -- I was not using ABS at all yesterday except in one area . It had just rained and it was a very tight corner. That's when I felt the ABS kick in.

As far as ABS allowing you to turn under braking. That's a crock. I had no grip left for the turn-in, hhaha.

Back when I used to drive the Prelude, I would practice threshold braking in the rain in a parking lot, feeling the point of lock up and *forcing* myself to let off the brakes. Braking is where winning & losing a race really comes down to.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:23 AM

I'm no expert, but I think the question of whether or not to downshift to first on an autox course is a function of (i) which year your car is, and (ii) just how slow you have to go to make the turn. It also might matter whether or not you can do a smooth heel/toe downshift.

I have a MY04, which has a much friendlier torque curve than previous models. I rarely downshift to first; I'll think about it a lot, but only do it if it's a real sharp, slow-speed (<25mph) turn, where I expect to gain enough by the downshift to justify the slight loss of time having to shift to 2nd later on.

I have seen excellent drivers in older S2000s routinely downshift to first in any sharp turn.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:41 AM

When in doubt, brake earlier than you think you might need to. It'll allow you to get on the power much earlier and much smoother. If you try to brake too late, you often miss your turn-in point and often brake much more than you need to as a result. It's easier to push your braking point later and later than to try to brake earlier, so don't let yourself learn the habit of braking too late.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Right - a very poor habit of mine. I always tell myself - wait a fraction longer before braking. Problem is, that fraction of a second is about 30feet while travelling. Therefore, I would end up overshooting my braking zone.

As far as speed exiting a corner, I really dont' know if i'm <25mph or not. Generally, if it feels slow, I'll D/S unless I know my car will be singing at around 4000RPMs or higher on the exit. And by that, I'm listening by ear. I rarely have time to look down at the tachometer/speedometer on a hot run.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM

Unless you are turning less than 6,000 rpm in 2nd, you will be banging the limiter when you get into first, and costing yourself more time thru the corner. Unless I can get a good 2 seconds of WOT in the lower gear before having to upshift, I just leave it in the higher gear. Sometimes this means adjusting my line and carving a wider arc thru the corner to carry more speed. The car just does not have the grunt down low that you can bring the car to a near stop on a tight apex and rocket out of the corner. It seems there is always a best line thru a corner but this may not always be the best line for this car. When I am going to downshift, what I ideally try to do is this, while I am braking, car in gear, and the tach approaches 6k (which was not so accidentally placed at TDC on the gauge) , I start my downshift. By then enough speed is gone that I am back in the 6k range in first with 3,000 rpms of VTEC on tap.

If you want to spend the $80 Modifry has a beeper that sounds at redline for upshifts, and can also be set up with a low rpm indicator that can tell you when to downshift. Can't wait to get one.
http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/product.p...3&cat=40&page=1
Hope some of this helps.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apex2k,Sep 13 2005, 08:40 AM
Unless you are turning less than 6,000 rpm in 2nd, you will be banging the limiter when you get into first, and costing yourself more time thru the corner.
No, the rev limiter does not work this way. You will be mechanically over-revving your engine, not "banging the rev limiter". Do not use the engine to brake the car in this way! It will upset the balance of the car and possibly severely damage your engine.

In the right circumstances it may well be worth shifting to first if you are good at it, but in the wrong circumstances it can be disasterous.

The Modifry beeper is the best "bang for the buck" performance mod available for this car, bar none. It was a gift to all S2K owners when Bob Baust bought one of these cars....