S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Done with R4S on the track

Old 01-17-2002, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Done with R4S on the track

I had reported my disappointing results trying to use R4S pads on the front and switched to Panther+ pads. But being lazy I left the R4S on the rear since swapping those for every track event is a bigger pain.. and I incorrectly thought I would not have the problem in the rear.

Here are the R4S pads I just pulled off the rear.. obviously they cannot take the heat..

And they were not that far worn as you can see compared to a new R4S..

I will order some P+ pads for the rear tommorrow and will just use the R4S for the street for now.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris

Remember that S2KCA members get a discount at Carbotech!
Old 01-18-2002, 12:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you notice a decrease in function?
Old 01-18-2002, 06:11 AM

Regarding rear pads, I put stock pads on that funny looking lightweight rear rotor I had installed, and kept the #3 'race' pads on the front Pinnacle system. No fading despite much late braking; UL did not mention any fade when he drove it as well, though the pedal tended to be lower on activation: Fresh stock rear pads not bedded?. The rear brake pads look fine from the sides, but I might take one off to be sure, espcially if I get the pads recommended by Brad for the rears.

As for the low pedal, I think there is still some air in the system, as I got much air out the fronts on the first bleed between LS days, and will see what the deal is next time. The brake pedal height for some reason also seems better after the drive home.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Sideways
Did you notice a decrease in function?
Yes, it is gradual so I was unsure.. thinking I had some fluid or front pad fade when in fact I just had much less contact area in the rear.. it is hard to see in the pic but the rough areas are broken away so there is no contact with the rotor.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B]Regarding rear pads, I put stock pads on that funny looking lightweight rear rotor I had installed, and kept the #3 'race' pads on the front Pinnacle system.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
It is hard to tell as just the rear becomes less effective.. you just use more pedal pressure and put a larger burden on the fronts. We know the stock pads fade but do not crumble so maybe that was your reason for a lower pedal. How about a full report on those pretty brakes.
Thanks, Cdelena for your posts. I'll try to get some temps paints to get as objective as I can about the brakes, hopefully before Buttonwillow, and get more of a track experienced person like UL to also give them a workout. Subjectively, front and back felt cooler than the stock systems when we came off the track at LS, and once parked cooled down very quickly compared to stock, due to less mass in the rotor hat to cool down, I think.

Panther+ on the back initially felt hotter than the front, but stock pads felt less hot than front, but this makes sense to me. I switched to stock pads because I was concerned seeing the cadmium plating melting and being spit onto the rim with the back temps being developed. I didn't want to be potentially wearing those rotors out so fast. The pads that were meant to be on the rears were too thick, so I had to go with the P+ which I had with the sotck rotors.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:19 PM

i have been running r4s pads for track/autox events. i need to get new pads and was wondering what kind of compound the panther+ were?

thanks
brian
Old 01-18-2002, 12:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brianb
[B]i have been running r4s pads for track/autox events.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:17 PM

Hmm...

We ran Hawk Blues on both front and rear in combination with the OEM rotors and calipers, and OEM front dust shields w/ brake ducts.

No problems.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:03 PM
Zot

ummm, SHEEEEEYOT...I just bought and put on new RS4's on mine for the Button Willow event this coming weekend because of all the positive feedback I have read. Now I am wondering if I have made a HUGE mistake. Granted I am sure I will not push my car nearly has hard as cdelena but none the less now I'm worried.

Should I be?

Quick Reply: Done with R4S on the track