S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

DIY brake ducting

Old 03-07-2003 | 11:07 AM

Harry,

No URL, saw them at Hi Tech racing in Van Nuys, but i will see about what catlalog or website has them.

PFB,

i agree they could impede, i think you might need the dual intake NACA duct, one open, other with blower and then merge to
rotor outlet. have it switched, and flick it on when you encounter unexpected slow go after hard braking(ie red flag, lack of sufficient cool down lap, hot pit for anything, black flag, or extremely brake intensive track...? hillclimb, etc.)
Old 03-25-2003 | 08:55 AM

I just ordered some 2-1/2" silicone duct hose which I plan on routing to the faux air ducts, which I will cover with little Grille-tech grills. How should I secure the hose end to the duct opening?

Should I try to fashion some sort of hose nipple onto the backside of the grill? What about simply using a hose clamp and wire ties or twist ties?
Old 03-25-2003 | 09:14 AM
20 Year Member

I'm trying to figure out how I should attach my 2.5" hose to the back of the heat shield... Also, what did you guys use to tie the hose to the car? Just zip ties? I was thinking mebbe I should put hose clamps on the hose and then zip ties to the hose clamps for a more reliable connection??? Ideas?
Old 03-25-2003 | 09:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by monkeymaker
[B]I just ordered some 2-1/2" silicone duct hose which I plan on routing to the faux air ducts, which I will cover with little Grille-tech grills.
Old 03-25-2003 | 09:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]I'm trying to figure out how I should attach my 2.5" hose to the back of the heat shield...
Old 03-25-2003 | 11:55 AM

Just a suggestion. A couple of rivets would do the job quite nicely and be far less work
Old 03-25-2003 | 12:10 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally posted by airsport
Just a suggestion. A couple of rivets would do the job quite nicely and be far less work
Yeah, but it will be just two little tiny drops of welding. I don't feel like drilling the heat shields and who know how close the bolts would be to the rotors...
Old 03-25-2003 | 12:42 PM
20 Year Member

Hmmm - I hadn't even thought about using rivets. I wonder if I can find a 2.5" flange ready-made that I can rivet to the dust shield? I might also use some sheet metal to fab a sorta sloppy/makeshift funnel to direct the air right at the holes in the shield.
Old 03-25-2003 | 01:36 PM

Was there a reason why you didn't wanna go with NACA ducts and 3"-to-2.5" adapters? That's what I'm doing.
I was thinking that 2-1/2" hose would allow enough airflow to get the job done, as well as be durable enough. The smaller hose diameter might also make routing easier. Another thing is that my AEM CAI filter has to share the air with the duct so smaller diameter is a plus there as well.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise...
I'm about to buy some aluminum flashing and cut out a pattern that can be folded and soldered into a hose nipple with mounting ears, which I plan on riveting into 3/16" holes I'll drill on the heat shield. Then I'll fit the hose over the nipple and secure it with a #36 worm-gear clamp.

As for the bumper connection, I'll be shaping another nipple that will bolt onto the side grill through 2 screw holes in the plastic faux duct covers. I'll just have to be careful to leave enough of the factory plastic on the bumper to hold the stuff together without tearing off. I'll connect the hose to the nipple just like on the wheel end.

While I'm at it, I'm also going to cut & bend some flashing into a scoop to be bolted onto the underside of the plastic undercarriage to deflect air up through a hole I'll cut right under the intake filter on the passenger side. I might also make a similar deflector to mount vertically around the hole I'll cut in the plastic shroud that separates the wheel well from the radiator. That way some air will also be deflected from the front of the center grill into the intake filter. It'll have to be small though, to prevent significant amounts of airflow being diverted from the radiator.

To top off all this anal ghetto-engineering, I'll be painting all the flashing with heat resistant black spraypaint in an effort to make it all less visible as well as to protect the hose from heat on the wheel side and the air filter on the radiator side.
Old 03-25-2003 | 02:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]Hmmm - I hadn't even thought about using rivets.

Quick Reply: DIY brake ducting