S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

DIY brake ducting

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:36 AM

This is a great thread. Has anyone done any ducting to an 04 bumper?
Old 07-17-2004 | 09:15 AM

I came up with this setup, which might work on an '04. Ordered a dual-inlet duct from http://www.pegasusautoracing.com and 12' of 3" ducting. I mounted it with twist ties to the splash guard in the center of the car. I just had to cut the top/bottom boarder from the inlet and drill some holes in it for twist ties.

It's a surprisingly solid mount, and required no cutting or anything on the car. I can take it off in about a minute, and put them on in about 10 or so (gotta work to get the twist ties into the splash guard). Needed some 14" ties to mount the ducts to the sway bar, and some 3" hose clamps to mount them to the inlet.

Only issue is it only leaves about 3" of clearance, so I'll only be using it on the track.

Old 07-17-2004 | 01:09 PM
20 Year Member

Not bad. You might want to try a similar setup to that, but mounting each duct closer to the wheel. Aside from the fact you'll probably get more airflow, your ground clearance issues will be less of a problem if it's closer to the wheels.

FWIW, I think the biggest problem is funneling the air through the dust shield. I don't believe I'm getting enough air through those little holes right now, so I'm considering getting in there and opening it up some more when I get a chance. It would be nice to have a totally custom-fabbed dust shield that really directs the air into the rotor veins. I've seen someone made fiberglass shields, but they were kinda janky lookin' and I don't know that they were exactly what I'm after.
Old 07-17-2004 | 03:27 PM

I have not done the backing plate or flex hose, but here is a CF duct I bought from MG Racing long ago made by a Japanese company called Jet.

The ducts funnels down to a 2" hole. For the time being I drilled a 2" hole in my fender well.

I bring this up because someone asked earlier if there were 2" ducts out there.

cheers

W
Old 07-17-2004 | 03:50 PM

^^That is a nice duct. Have you seen one shaped more like the 04 faux vents?
Old 07-17-2004 | 04:07 PM

I cut the dust shield with a 3" hole saw, mounted Wick's aluminum flanges with the flange lip on the rotor-side of the shield, and then riveted the flanges to the shield. Works great and seems to flow a huge amount of air into the rotors. The heat-related problems I once had on the track have gone away, seemingly completely.

CB
Old 07-17-2004 | 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by dispader,Jul 17 2004, 06:50 PM
^^That is a nice duct. Have you seen one shaped more like the 04 faux vents?
I am sure that same company has the '04 style by now. MG Racing is unreachable it seems. Going off memory, the company that made it was called Jets. I will try to dig some info about them.

cheers

W
Old 07-18-2004 | 04:35 PM

Found a link to the Jet's webpage, the company is Jet's Racing Systems.

cheers

W
Old 07-19-2004 | 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hecash,Jul 18 2004, 08:29 PM
jvils,

That's an interesting concept. I have two comments.

Firstly, you ought to consider going up to 3" ducting using a compatible dual bumper duct like the 2" that you've used. If you look at the cubic air flow calculations for a 2" versus a 3" you'll find that the 3" nearly doubles the 2" flow.

Secondly, you ought to consider moving the dual bumper duct right up to the nose or maybe a hair in front of it. With it back just a little bit from the high pressure zone of the edge of the front bumper, you're going to loose a tremendous amount of air flow.

My educated guess is that going up one inch on duct and moving it right out to the high pressure zone will improve your cooling by nearly three-fold.
Thanks. It actually is a 3" setup, guess the pix make it look smaller. I will try moving it forward to the next set of holes on the splash guard. I bought 12' of ducting, so I have plenty left to redo. I'll be trying this out at Sebring July 31. Hopefully this and the Cobalt pads will fix the fade I've been having.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:01 PM

Great thread! Thanks to all the info in this thread just finished brake ducting on my S2K. I went with the 3-inch ducting and had the front faux ducts cut. Looks great and works even better.

Here's some shots:

Did not go with debris screens. Even without the debris screens, can hardly tell the ducts are there.

Quick Reply: DIY brake ducting