S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

DE Camera Mount

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys that are saying you have little to no vibration with the modifry mount - what cameras are you using?

Personally I use an Aiptek A-HD+. There's significant but not horrible vibration with a suction cup mount, I haven't tried this modifry one yet but I was hoping going to it would make it pretty good. Any experience with that or similar cameras, or is everyone here using gopros or bullet cams?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, to the OP, one thing I found that was happening with my Aiptek cam was that the tripod threads weren't very rigid. In other words, under vibration or high G forces the camera would actually vibrate relative to its own tripod threads. I think this is because they don't typically design the tripod part of the camera to be able to take high vibration for a normal consumer video camera.

I made mine waaaay better by sorta sandwiching a small rag with a hole in it between the mount and the camera so that there's a much larger area of contact than just the tripod threads. Next year I'm going to try using a piece of soft rubber or a rubber washer on the bottom so it looks a little better but does the same thing.

I have no idea if that's the case with yours too, but figured it's a good enough possibility to check. Mount the camera and then pull it side to side gently from the top of the camera and see where exactly it's moving.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have used the Modifry mount with a bullet cam and a small light weight canon p&s with no issues. I can see where a heavier camera, or a "tall" camera might be a problem.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The camera is rather light. I'd have to look up the specs to be sure, but I doubt the Go Pro, for example, is any lighter.

I don't think there is any form of imagine stabilization that would handle this sort of issue. The imagine stabilization is designed for issues more commonly encountered by typical usage. With my cam, IS on/off produces no discernible difference.

I'll have to read more about why a CMOS sensor may be more susceptible than a CCD.

I'll try the suggestions mentioned for cutting down on vibration listed above. I like the idea of a rubber washer between the camera and the threaded mount. Perhaps it may absorb just enough. I'll also try a rag under the edge of the glove box lid.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I think about it, I do have rubber between the camera and the mount. That must be the difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i use his windshield mount with a small canon point-and-shoot and it's excellent.

although i think i should have a got one that attached to my roll bar to prevent my camera from flying into my face someday.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its a camcorder that can attach external lenses, try a wide angle lens convertor.. should help make the vibrations less noticeable.

GoPros shoot at a very wide angle which makes it look very smooth.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 AM

I tried an Aiptek A-HD+ on a Modifry mount. It shook pretty badly. You could tell what was going on, but it was highly distracting. The audio was unusable due to the rattling of the camera. I now use a bullet cam feeding into the same camera - that's worlds better! The A-HD+ tends to shut off if you bump the input jack while it's recording though. I made a foam 'box' that it sits inside in the glove box to keep the jack from contacting anything.

You can see video examples under username 'coreydyck' on YouTube. Video quality is slightly better than the highest definition available on YouTube, but it's certainly not HD.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 AM

I use the 8gb 720p Creative Labs Vado HD, weights in at .22 lbs w/ battery and has a wide angle lens. My videos can be found under "Apeatwo" on youtube.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Has anyone used a GoPro Hero HD camera with the Modify mount and have any issues?

I'm thinking about going with this setup before going to Gingerman (and the Dragon in April).. Was curious about this setup.

Thanks

Quick Reply: DE Camera Mount