S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Corner weight opinions

Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Corner weight opinions

I have to make weight this coming weekend, but don't have time to add ballast and/or corner balance the car. The pictures below are with approximately 1/4 tank of fuel, so I know I can add 36 lbs(6 gallons of fuel). The car has had its stroker removed and is now using its stock intake, header, and exhaust. Other than the decreased power:weight ratio, will the balance of the car as it stands be detectable? I have zero reference as I will also be trying to dial in my DA Konis... finally.

Thanks in advance,
Skip

PS. The car weighs 2593lbs(1/4 tank) without my arse in the seat. This weekend's track is mostly RH turns(all the important ones anyway).

Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip... Im trying to find the picture of my weights I got off of those same scales...

But basically my distribution is almost exactly the same.
The car was basically perfect without me her, and I was almost 52% in the front (like you) with me in it.

I cant tell of any ill effects... but im not that good of a driver either.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 AM

Hey, Cale, I didn't disconnect any bars- just lowered it onto the scales. Same for you?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 AM

Some good info in the Bilstein adjusting thread via a link:

As crossweights move away from 50 percent, the car's handling becomes unpredictable. It doesn't respond the same when turning left or right, as in the original example. For the average street handling application, road-course, or slalom event, you want no wedge, or 50 percent crossweight (plus or minus 0.5 percent). Once again, on nose-heavy, transverse-engine FWD cars, getting to 50 percent may be difficult. These cars may be 3-5 percent off on the crossweight. (That's why there's so much interest in coilovers among sport-compact guys.) It's a different story on cars that turn primarily in one direction--like left-turning oval-trackers, which usually have "stagger" (the RR tire has a larger circumference than the LR tire). Stagger usually loosens handling in left turns, so more crossweight is used to tighten it up.

Due to torque-twist on acceleration, a RWD drag car tends to lift the left-front and right-rear tires. It is one case where the car may benefit from reverse-wedge (under 50 percent crossweight). Likewise, occasionally a road-racer may want to deviate from the "50/50 rule." For example, Willow Springs, a southern California road-course, has a preponderance of very long, fast righthand turns; some drivers intentionally dial in reverse-wedge to maximize performance on this course.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM

You have time to put it on scales but not jack up one side and adjust the coilover? Ghetto solution: put some washers under the shock tower bolts? haha.

It should be ok, not great. If you're already not getting 100% out of it as a driver, it'll work fine. Though, it is better set up for left turns than right turns . Let us know if you have any cornering or braking issues.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suspension,Oct 7 2008, 08:10 PM
Though, it is better set up for left turns than right turns .
Why?

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Oct 7 2008, 01:36 AM
This weekend's track is mostly RH turns(all the important ones anyway).
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM

My weights changed by roughly 10lbs when I disconnected the sways. Your weights are only off by about 25lbs, varying by corner. I wouldn't worry about it Skip. I don't know if you'll be able to tell a difference, but how often are our cars set-up perfectly? I doubt mine is...ever.

For ballast, is your passenger seat still in? If not, that'd be an easy, decent amount of pounds.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM

Quick answer: Non linear tire theory. Two tires on the same end (front end or rear end) of a car produce the most lateral grip as a pair when the load difference between the two is smallest.

In a left turn, weight will transfer from the left side of your car to the right. Since your left front started with more weight, the two front tires will be have a smaller load difference than when turning right because when turning right load is transferred to the already more heavily loaded front left.

That is,
turning right will cause more load difference between the front tires than turning left.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suspension,Oct 7 2008, 04:10 PM
You have time to put it on scales but not jack up one side and adjust the coilover? Ghetto solution: put some washers under the shock tower bolts? haha.
Wouldn't this also change the alignment?

That's not quite as easy as just jacking it up and adjusting.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Yes, any adjustment (normal adjustment or shimming as I suggested) will change the alignment. Though it's probably minimal.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's not that easy.