S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

conclusive on-track testing of Speed Engineering Directional Vaned Brake Rotors

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Heat directly affects longevity of a rotor. In theory if these run cooler then they should also last longer.

Time will tell if the theory is correct though.
Time has already proven that theory wrong. If running the rotors cooler helped at all then ducting would have made a difference, which it hasn't.

These rotors might still last longer, we will see. But there is nothing conclusive in this thread to say they're any better than oem yet.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh! ooops, I thought ducting helped with rotor life.
If that's the case then the APM's not dishing like the centrics won't help either. I guess it'll boil down to the metal they're cast from.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik
Originally Posted by macr88' timestamp='1306270404' post='20611080
Heat directly affects longevity of a rotor. In theory if these run cooler then they should also last longer.

Time will tell if the theory is correct though.
Time has already proven that theory wrong. If running the rotors cooler helped at all then ducting would have made a difference, which it hasn't.

These rotors might still last longer, we will see. But there is nothing conclusive in this thread to say they're any better than oem yet.

Ducting made a difference for me...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ryland (krazik) -- As a former vendor here on S2ki, I figured you'd appreciate testing like this more than anyone. I can remember, and still read about products being sold with performance claims with no solid evidence to back them up. I believe this is a good solid start. While it would be nice to test every permutation of pads, track, conditions, etc. it's simply not feasible. Our testing does show conclusive evidence that these rotors do show lower operating conditions, namely within the testing range discussed. How is this not conclusive? Lower temperatures will have a positive effect on components, braking and otherwise, as discussed. The test here was not to determine longetivity differences between the two. That is a separate discussion and a completely different test design.

-- Chris
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Ryland (krazik) -- As a former vendor here on S2ki, I figured you'd appreciate testing like this more than anyone. I can remember, and still read about products being sold with performance claims with no solid evidence to back them up. I believe this is a good solid start. While it would be nice to test every permutation of pads, track, conditions, etc. it's simply not feasible. Our testing does show conclusive evidence that these rotors do show lower operating conditions, namely within the testing range discussed. How is this not conclusive? Lower temperatures will have a positive effect on components, braking and otherwise, as discussed. The test here was not to determine longetivity differences between the two. That is a separate discussion and a completely different test design.

-- Chris
For singular laps with rising temperatures. It would be nice to see them reach equilibrium - which is what matters. How well it keeps the temps down -which it should, just knowing the magnitude would mean more (to me atleast) than a slight difference in the continuous rising temps over the one lap.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ That.

If ultimately, the same high temp equilibrium is reached, then ultimately, the rotor is seeing (to my non-engineering knowledge) the same amount of stress from expansion/contraction due to temperature change.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh! ooops, I thought ducting helped with rotor life.
If that's the case then the APM's not dishing like the centrics won't help either. I guess it'll boil down to the metal they're cast from.
ducting helped fluid life and potentially pad fade (of course you could buy better pads which hold up better at high temps).

I think we'd know if it helped stave cracking off if we could get to the root of why the rotors crack in the 1st place. I don't think i brake hard enough to get them cracked since I've never cracked a set. Was always running ducting & did proper cooldown laps though.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by c32b
did proper cooldown laps though.
Key to not going through rotors like crazy
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b' timestamp='1306299498' post='20612596
did proper cooldown laps though.
Key to not going through rotors like crazy
I noticed that the cracked rotors other S owners had tended to occur within the pits after hot laps when the driver pitted to cool off. I'm thinking that maybe the sudden change in temperature cooled some parts faster than others and resulted in cracks. running ducting allowed the temps to be stable at a lower level and thus with less disparity in stationary temp vs moving them, the chance of cracking was reduced. considering i am in asia where track temps are ~60 and ambient is probablby ~32deg C whereas in temperate climates the difference may be more considering that ambient might be about 20~22 thus leading to a greater disparity and higher chance for cracking. this is purely a guess.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Former Moderator

The pad is an excellent insulator and causes the rotor to cool down in a non uniform fashion.

Quick Reply: conclusive on-track testing of Speed Engineering Directional Vaned Brake Rotors