S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

conclusive on-track testing of Speed Engineering Directional Vaned Brake Rotors

Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Originally Posted by Croc' timestamp='1305098826' post='20562389
i think this graph says it all - after heavy braking these rotors cool down much quicker than stock ones.

just to reconfirm - cooler rotors means less brake fading?
or pads are those which play more important part in fading?
Brake fade can occur from either the brake pad or fluid. When the brake pad reaches its thermal limit (where the compound is liquefying or vaporizing) you still feel brake pressure but reduced brake torque. When the brake fluid reaches its thermal limit, the fluid begins to vaporize cusing reduced brake torque and brake pedal pressure. The faster you can output the input of heat from friction, the better off both these will be.

-- Chris
so should be less fading, right?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

great job on the testing!! love the data! hard to argue data...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely interested in giving these a go - does anyone know if these are ok for Nasa Time Trials?
I'm scared to ask
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my question is... is thier a weight difference between these and stock? If so how much?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_uk
definitely interested in giving these a go - does anyone know if these are ok for Nasa Time Trials?
I'm scared to ask
We use this on our NASA TT S2000. There is no penalty for using these rotors as they are factory sized.

-- Chris
Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by josh7owens
my question is... is thier a weight difference between these and stock? If so how much?
The Speed Engineering front rotor are approximately 1 lb less than the factory rotor.

cheers,
-- Chris
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Excellent testing.

However, the testing isn't quite conclusive for us so-cal s2k challenge drivers. Would you be able to perform additional testing in the future? Most of the socal drivers are fading XP12 pads with brake ducting, so if these rotors combined with ducting could prevent that, I believe it would tip the scale toward spending the extra dollars for these rotors. Depending on the track, we see braking from 130+ to ~45 [ACS] to 105+ to ~45 [SoWS] to 110+ to 70 [braking into Lost Hill at Buttonwillow]. Your testing is seeing speed differentials that unfortunately don't cover all of our braking ranges

Regardless, these rotors clearly run cooler than OEM and OEM style rotors, which is exactly what a lot of people are looking for

Also, I was looking at the equipment that you were using to measure temps. Do they make equipment that can measure higher than 1000F?

Thanks again for the testing! This is what every manufacturer needs to do.
Brake ducting on a straight vane rotor, like the factory, or aftermarket units in my own personal experience of doing this on our prior race car has very little performance benefit and reduction in fade. I was only able to cure brake fade after replacing the factory rotors with very costly ($700) KVR 2 piece direction rotors. As noted, the difference in price between factory style aftermarket straight vane rotors is, at least in my book, minimal - $40-50 / rotor. Slotted straight vane rotors, ie. Powerslot, are the same, if not more expensive than these rotors and don't even have directional vanes! The minimal cost savings between aftermarket blanks and these rotors becomes even less of an advantage once you consider the increase in pad life and nearby components (joints, boots, bearings). It seems to be an absolute no brainer to me.

Regarding your brake fade, you may wish to consider upgrading your fluid. Remember that a very aggressive pad like XP12 produces more brake torque = friction = heat. In my experience, the XP10 / 8 combination is the best combination for the racing we do, and what I suspect you do too. It provides more than enough brake torque for the weight of the S2000 and is not excessive in heat.

Yes, higher range sensors are available. However, you'll need to limit the cold end of the range or have reduce resolution. Expect to pay $1000-2000 for this.

Thank you for your comments & thumbs up, we appreciate it.

-- Chris
Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Remember that a very aggressive pad like XP12 produces more brake torque = friction = heat. In my experience, the XP10 / 8 combination is the best combination for the racing we do, and what I suspect you do too. It provides more than enough brake torque for the weight of the S2000 and is not excessive in heat.
don't think that is true. there is the same amount of forward / rotational energy being converted to heat (which depends on the difference in velocity of the car between the time when braking begins, and when braking ends). now, there could be a temperature difference, depending on whether you are implying that more torque results in shorter braking distances, which gives less time for the heat to be dissipated resulting in a higher peak temperature. but all other things being the same, more brake torque should not directly result in more heat. i have seen other claims similar to this, but i have yet to hear an explanation that does not defy physical laws.

anyway, if you're right that ducting makes little difference (and that would be contrary to what many others say), then it could be assumed the results of running your test over with brake ducting would produce the same results.

i haven't seen much empirical evidence of how much brake ducting affects temps. perhaps someone here would have some numbers.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job testing!

I can't say that I'm surprised with the results. Directional vanes provide a MUCH lower pressure in the center of the rotor and pull a lot more air through them. However, I have ducting, and its ducting done right with the air only going to the center of the rotor so that all of it is used to cool the entire rotor. I'm hard pressed to believe that these without ducting would run cooler, and I be willing to bet a set of them that they would not. That doesn't mean I don't see a market for them...for people that don't want to have to run ducting, they make sense.

Now that this test is out of the way, and proves they are superior, the real test has to be done. How they actually compare in rotor life and pad life vs. the cheap C-teks...after doing ducting I improved my pad life over 300%, and haven't found out about rotor life yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orpheus
anyway, if you're right that ducting makes little difference (and that would be contrary to what many others say), then it could be assumed the results of running your test over with brake ducting would produce the same results.

i haven't seen much empirical evidence of how much brake ducting affects temps. perhaps someone here would have some numbers.

Ducting would not have as large of an effect on THESE rotors, but that is because the main open area where the air enters the center of the rotor is on the outside face...you'd have to bring the ducting outside the wheel to get the same effect most of the benefits of this rotor is in the vanes.

Quick Reply: conclusive on-track testing of Speed Engineering Directional Vaned Brake Rotors