S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Is a competitive autocross car really a dedicated race car?

Old 02-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your statement is you don't drive your S2000 because you drive an old Volvo?

Isn't your reason 2 a reason not to use a race prepped, even stock class prepped, S2k on the street?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:18 PM

As others have mentioned, I don't think race prepped car = not streetable. I drove my old car to work almost every day and it was just fine. Probably the most annoying aspect of the setup was the buzzy muffler I ran most of the time. Shock settings can be softened enough the car is not too bad unless on pretty bumpy roads. If anything, even with street tires, the larger swaybar made the car feel better. Tire wear was not an issue with the race alignment, though they were Kumho 712's which do their best to not die even when you want them to.

I even drove to many local events (within an hour drive) on Hoosiers without much worry. Longer distances than that and the trailer came out.

-Andy
Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 PM

Just wanted to chime in here David. No matter what you choose to do, come on out to the NNJR events. You'll find plenty of help setting up your s2k there. Be sure to check out Perry's web-site www.autox4u.com to find out about local events.

As far as steet vs race, I can't really give you too much input there. I don't commute with my s2k, I take the train to the city. For the amount of weekend and daytrip driving the auto-x setup doesn't seem to affect life all that much. Not nearly as much as my cat-back does.

I drive to Englishtown on my Kumhos. I bag them and put them on the front seat when I go to Camden or Giant stadium.

By the way, the only reason I trophied @ DC last year was because the crazy guy in the volvo pictured above got DQ'd. Good luck @ Atlanta mrsideways.

Also BTW, Perry regularly smokes vroom and I by a second+ at local events.

-- Tom
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 PM

As the current owner of s2k2fast4me's car, I'll chime in here.

The car is very streetable, but it definitely has its drawbacks. As Andy said, its exhaust is very loud and seems to reverberate in the cabin at "street rpms" with the top up. The suspension is generally stiff, even at its softest shock settings. As for potholes, you treat them the same way as you do cones... look ahead and drive around them. Tire wear doesn't seem to be too bad, but its all relative. I just expect the rear tires to last very few miles. I do worry about wear and tear on the shocks. I also dread changing the diff fluid.

Once the weather gets good around here, I may just drive the car on a daily basis. But my commute is about 3 miles each way. Or it may be just on the one day a week that I feel a need to boost my self esteem.

As for long trips, it took just one for me to realize that trailering the car is a MUST. I'm not saying trailer it to an event that's an hour away, but anything more than 3 hours will definitely be a trailer trip, even if I'm not packing tires. What is tolerable for a little while gets old after 400 miles.

BTW... I did kill the Kumho 712's. I think the Phoenix trip (fast down the freeway and heavy in the trunk) did them in.

Andy H.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mrsideways
I choose not to drive mine on the street for many reasons.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:39 PM

No, my car is definitely a street car, right down to its OEM shocks. How do I get it to the street, though?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vroom
Nah - I put 'em in the car.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 02-15-2004, 09:56 AM

I'd like to chime in more on the daily driving issue. Tom has told me that the Konis do not make the car significantly stiffer. As such, the car should be as driveable as the stocker. For some, the stocker's to stiff and loud. for others it's stiff and loud but acceptable. My commute is 37 miles, 22 of which is spent heading south on the GSP at a sustained 80mph (about the cutoff before the State Toopers get antsy - at least in the section I travel). Compared to my other car, also a relatively high performace car, it is stiffer and louder, but for me totally acceptable. I daily drove it stock with a saner bar and lower profile 17" tires for about 9 months while my other car was down. I still drive it to work on perfect weather days in the summer or shockingly, brutally cold but clear winter days (the heater is awesome and this is the car in the garage so it's warm in the morning). My other car, when my full time autox car was actually stiffer as it had H&R coilovers and I drove that everywhere everyday. It really is a matter of what you can tolerate.

BTW - I've seen Tom lose to Perry by about .1 seconds, I don't think I've ever been closer than 1 second - and if I'm not mistaken, that car only has Konis and a bar with Hoosiers. Didn't Perry get 2nd at DC with that config?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 AM

Oh, and autocross schedules are starting to show up for the NY/NJ area. The Mclub, NASA, NNJSCCA, SJSCCA, NYRSCCA, all have at least tentative shedules up. There are events at the Meadowlands as early as March 14 with NASA - in fact from then to early June you can autox around here almost every week.

Quick Reply: Is a competitive autocross car really a dedicated race car?