S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cold air without sacrificing aero

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! OK it sounds in general like as long as I seal up the hole in the bumper and it just goes to the intake I should be fine. Thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
i guess my concern is if I cut another hole how badly will the effect the air being forced out of the hood vents, result in less air directed to the radiator, and will it have any negative effect on aero?
Do you have cut holes on your OEM hood? If so, your not venting any heat regardless (unless you are parked).
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I would make a rectangular airbox to put in a big flat panel filter and then use a NACA duct to ram air it.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...r-Testing.aspx

You can probably buy a generic/universal NACA duct and mount it in the middle ala Dodge Viper style.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Originally Posted by josserman' timestamp='1391644749' post='23001117
i guess my concern is if I cut another hole how badly will the effect the air being forced out of the hood vents, result in less air directed to the radiator, and will it have any negative effect on aero?
Do you have cut holes on your OEM hood? If so, your not venting any heat regardless (unless you are parked).
I thought the holes in the hood would vent the heat, especially with the bottom closed off from the splitter?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I would make a rectangular airbox to put in a big flat panel filter and then use a NACA duct to ram air it.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...r-Testing.aspx

You can probably buy a generic/universal NACA duct and mount it in the middle ala Dodge Viper style.

This looks great!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I thought the holes in the hood would vent the heat, especially with the bottom closed off from the splitter?
I haven't seen anyone do testing on just vents cut in the hood, I'm sure it must help some. I think even better though is having louvres in the hood so there's an area for the hot air to rise and escape. Picture air flowing over the top of the hood. It's not high pressure but if the air is flowing fast enough it could be enough pressure on top of the hood to not allow air to escape. With louvres you create a low pressure zone that encourages scavenging air from the engine bay.

Take a look at spdracerut's article, I found it very informative. There are/were a few threads that discussed hood louvres and vents and aerodynamics in general in this section.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Originally Posted by josserman' timestamp='1391644749' post='23001117
Correct based on testing by Gernby
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/877...t__p__20812917

"I have hood vents, but they are ONLY for looks, and actually increased my engine ccolant temps at the track. I have only 3 vents cut on the passenger side, and my coolant temps went up to 225F at a track day last year. Another S2000 owner at the same track event hit 250F with his hood vented with the 4 smaller vents near the windshield. "

If you look at the hood from the side, the back of the hood at the windshield is the highest point and the front of the hood the lowest. Therefore, when people cut holes in the hood, the leading edge of the hole is lower than the rear edge. So looking from straight ahead, the air has a straight shot into the hole. So air goes into the engine bay through the holes, creating a higher pressure zone in the engine bay behind the radiator. The higher pressure zone now in the engine bay behind the radiator reduces the airflow through the radiator reducing the effectiveness of the cooling system.

That's my theory at least and explains Gernby's results
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 AM

Wow this really throws the whole design off! I wonder if I had some sort of fin in front of each hole if that's would help block air from coming in.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 AM

So just a thought...what if i used the first hole as my intake duct into a closed box out to the charger. Seems that's the hole that would be sucking in the most air. Then added some sort of fin for the other 2 holes so air when moving wouldn't be forced in the them but instead could escape?

Obviously this is all crazy theoretical with 0 scientific backing but just logically it may make sense? On this route though should there be any concern to uneven downforce only having fins on one side?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

what about getting a mugen hood and added something like this? could this be a good alternative?
http://circuitgarage.bigcartel.com/p...-hood-diffuser

Quick Reply: Cold air without sacrificing aero