S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Coilovers vs. Koni's w/ Espelir springs

Old 11-24-2003, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers vs. Koni's w/ Espelir springs

I am looking for some input / advice as to advantages / disadvantages as to two possible set-ups. I am currently debating as to either
A)Koni sport adjustable shocks paired up with Espelir Active Super Down springs
or-
B)Tein CS or RA coilovers
I already have the Espelir springs, but that will not sway me one way or the other. I wouldn't mind the adjustable ride height of coilovers, but I have always been a firm beliver in keeping it simple and do not want to monkey around with ride height, and other adjustments all the time!
Thanks all,
Del
Old 11-24-2003, 05:24 PM

I too am considering going with Koni's and espelir springs. Anybody have any feedback??
Old 11-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your going to find the matched set probably better unless you revalve the konis to custom specs and match them with springs. Just a guess but seems logical to me.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:25 AM

I think they would be able to handle the springs no problem-as far as my understanding goes they are made for better performance, so I don't think Koni would build them to a specification that would require a complete overhaul right out of the box. Just my .02!
I do appreciate the feedback, maybe an explanation as to your theory would make me see the light!
Someone out here must have Koni's with aftermarket springs - common chime in!
Del
Old 11-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Administrator

What I'm saying is that each component of your suspension is not additive. That is to say that good shocks and good springs is not the same as a matched set of shocks and springs. Yes the koni shocks are better than stock and yes the espelir springs are probably better than stock but are they as good as a shock and spring coilover set designed specifically to work together?

Your question was would a koni/espelir combination be as good as Tien RA coilovers. My theory is that while the koni/espelir combination would probably be as good as stock or better they wouldn't likely be as good as the Tein RA coilovers because they aren't specifically matched to work together.

You could make the combo just as good, maybe better but you wouldn't get that out of the box. It would take some engineering of the spring and rebound rates and that would likely involve revalving the shocks for the rebound you are looking for.

Suspension engineering is a black art IMO, I wouldn't know where to start. It is just a theory.

It is very easy to spend money on suspension and actually make your suspension worse. Do you understand what changing your spring rates, dampening and rebound rates will do to your suspension? I haven't got much of a clue, I know a few things but not enough to reengineer it.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:07 AM
Administrator

I'll add that the main reason that people use the koni shocks is to satisfy classing rules for autocross where changing the springs is not allowed, just the shocks. The shocks alone will make a big improvement.

Those unrestricted by these rules would generally opt for coilovers such as those from Tein, Ohlins, JRZ or Moton.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:43 AM

Makes more sense to me now-appreciate the details! I never got to into suspension modifications before, always just built the heck out of turbo motors and ran 'em!
Del
Old 11-26-2003, 08:18 PM

I would rather run a Koni/GC Combo that just about anything. It`s hand down the best bang for the buck. Plus, the GC`s Springs are made by Eibach so you know you`re getting a good spring. The Tein Springs, even on the high end units, really are not very good (yes, I tested them). If you want to change rates, it`s also much easier if you have the GC`s as you can just order just about any rate you want from any Eibach Dealer.

Ryan