S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Coilovers

Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no GC/Koni love?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bighead,Oct 3 2007, 03:30 PM
no GC/Koni love?
What's to love?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM

custom spring rates? non-baller prices? mcdonald's paint scheme? rebuildability? I dunno, just presenting all of the options available.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SecondRound,Oct 3 2007, 11:20 AM
are those the new flex's? i was interested in trying those out
Im not sure if they are replacing the flexs or just another product line.

I am very pleased with the ride and how well they handle. I'm by no means a die hard racer but for daily driving and the ocasional track day i think i will be satasfied. I have only had my S2000 for roughly 4 months. Before i had an evo so im very new to the car, but im very pleased with these coilovers.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bighead,Oct 3 2007, 04:49 PM
custom spring rates? non-baller prices? mcdonald's paint scheme? rebuildability? I dunno, just presenting all of the options available.
The first time you have sex it's the best you ever had. Then (hopefully) you have good sex and think, man the first sex I had sucked. Then one day you have fantastic mind-blowing sex and think, all the sex I've ever had up to this point sucked.

Koni is first sex
KWv3, Tein is good sex
JRZ, Moton is the best sex ever.

Just sayin'
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Kel

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 3 2007, 06:29 PM
The first time you have sex it's the best you ever had. Then (hopefully) you have good sex and think, man the first sex I had sucked. Then one day you have fantastic mind-blowing sex and think, all the sex I've ever had up to this point sucked.

Koni is first sex
KWv3, Tein is good sex
JRZ, Moton is the best sex ever.

Just sayin'
Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem i have with high end dampers is I just can't be sure if what I'm buying is what the "teams" are getting.

Then again on the same token, I'm not sure I'd want what they have anyway. The respective cars' unsprung weight is different, the tire spring rates are different, the total weight is also different. So you have a bunch of different factors from the shop cars, but the dampers may or may not be the same. Which means, ultimately, the dampers aren't built to what you are using it with anyway.

If you have a spreadsheet integrating all these factors and it can spit out a bunch of numbers for you, you can send the dyno curve to the company and have them build THAT shock for you. That's what I like about Koni; I have the means to the former; they have the means to the latter. When I get to that stage as a driver, I can just send my Yellow-GC combo and just have them build that to my spec; and I'd be really interested in seeing how that setup would fare against a Tein SRC setup.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Custom Koni sex > KWv3 masturbation
Old 10-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Borbor,Oct 3 2007, 10:25 PM
The problem i have with high end dampers is I just can't be sure if what I'm buying is what the "teams" are getting.

Then again on the same token, I'm not sure I'd want what they have anyway. The respective cars' unsprung weight is different, the tire spring rates are different, the total weight is also different. So you have a bunch of different factors from the shop cars, but the dampers may or may not be the same. Which means, ultimately, the dampers aren't built to what you are using it with anyway.

If you have a spreadsheet integrating all these factors and it can spit out a bunch of numbers for you, you can send the dyno curve to the company and have them build THAT shock for you. That's what I like about Koni; I have the means to the former; they have the means to the latter. When I get to that stage as a driver, I can just send my Yellow-GC combo and just have them build that to my spec; and I'd be really interested in seeing how that setup would fare against a Tein SRC setup.
You can do that with any of the shocks discussed. You put it on a shock dyno, run some software, spit out some numbers and have them re-valved accordingly. Simply revalving a basic shock is nothing like starting out with a vastly better designed shock. Your steel bodies oil-filled, marginally adjustable koni yellows don't hold a candle to a similar rebound adjustable shock such as an Ohlins and compared to something like a JRZ or Moton aren't even in the same galaxy.

You get what you pay for. Are $3000 Ohlins really that much better than $1000 Koni's? And then some. My single adjustable Ohlins are better shocks than my Motons, they just lack the adjustment capability. Even with adjustment, my car handles no better and is no faster around the track with Moton Club Sports than it was with the Ohlins, and that's with one of them leaking oil.

On the shock food chain:

Ohlins
JRZ
Moton
KW (motorsport, not v3)
Penske
Tein
KWv3
Koni
stock

It's not coincidence that these are arranged by feature cost.

The ultimate coilover IMHO is a Ohlins 46HRX kit but unfortunately nobody has developed one yet.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 4 2007, 08:28 AM
You can do that with any of the shocks discussed. You put it on a shock dyno, run some software, spit out some numbers and have them re-valved accordingly. Simply revalving a basic shock is nothing like starting out with a vastly better designed shock. Your steel bodies oil-filled, marginally adjustable koni yellows don't hold a candle to a similar rebound adjustable shock such as an Ohlins and compared to something like a JRZ or Moton aren't even in the same galaxy.

You get what you pay for. Are $3000 Ohlins really that much better than $1000 Koni's? And then some. My single adjustable Ohlins are better shocks than my Motons, they just lack the adjustment capability. Even with adjustment, my car handles no better and is no faster around the track with Moton Club Sports than it was with the Ohlins, and that's with one of them leaking oil.

On the shock food chain:

Ohlins
JRZ
Moton
KW (motorsport, not v3)
Penske
Tein
KWv3
Koni
stock

It's not coincidence that these are arranged by feature cost.

The ultimate coilover IMHO is a Ohlins 46HRX kit but unfortunately nobody has developed one yet.
You might want to specify which TEIN kit you are talking about. I assume you are talking about the SRC and more expensive kits.

Quick Reply: Coilovers